The Collegiette’s Ultimate Guide to Ugly Sweater Shopping

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Minnesota chapter.

The best part of the holiday season is not the food, gift-giving or nifty music. It’s the tradition that the holiday season comes paired with the ugliest sweaters around. The second 24-hour Christmas music starts playing, it’s an invitation to mock the horrible fashion trends of the ‘70s, ‘80s and ‘90s. Want the best ugly sweater? Follow these tips to ensure that you have the ugliest gear around.

Make sure it doesn’t fit.

Whether it’s too big or too small, your ugly sweater shouldn’t fit. If it’s too big, you can pair it with leggings and boots. Too small and you can turn it into a cute crop top and pair it with a skirt. Either way, you can capture the ugliness while still looking cute af.

Accessories will make it better.

I’m talking all the bells and whistles. No really, actual bells and whistles. Sweaters with bells and pom-poms all over it can really make you stand out.

Everyone loves an interactive sweater.

My favorite ugly sweater is one that comes with a pettable Santa. His beard takes up the majority of the sweater and I often pair it with a “pet me” sign.

Raid your parents closet before spending any money.

While your parents may not be proud of it, they probably have a sweater or two in their closet from the good ole days that now qualifies as an ugly sweater. Rifle through their closet and see if you can find a hidden gem or two from their days as a hip youngster in the ‘70s.

The beauty of ugly sweaters is that there doesn’t have to be any; everyone is equally ugly in their ugly sweaters. If you’re striving for the ugliest sweater, keep these tips in mind to really step up your game.