A Collegiete’s Unofficial Guide to Minnesota Summer Music Fesitvals

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Minnesota chapter.

The end of the semester is just a week away, and with days getting longer and warmer it’s hard to ignore those summer vibes and not think about all the fun things you’ll be doing after finals. If you’re staying around campus over the summer for that sweet internship or job, exploring the city with your free time should be at the top of your list. Minneapolis is a great place to spend the summertime with lakes, open-air markets, community events and festivals happening all the time.There are so many music festivals right here in Minnesota to enjoy, and they feature tons of  popular and new artists that want you to hear. Festivals are the best way to hear the music you love, and a great way to spend a weekend with your friends and even make some new friends.

1. Basilica Block Party

This festival is actually a fundraiser to support all of the efforts of the St. Paul Basilica. Your dollars will not only go to having a great time, but also support restoration of the landmark and the The Basilica’s St. Vincent de Paul outreach program. All good things. Artists include The Shins, WALK THE MOON, Night Moves, The Roosevelts, Julia Brennan. AWOLNATION, and Gavin Degraw. Plus over a dozen more great artists in a wide range of genres, so there definitely is something for everyone and new tunes for you to listen to. Get ready for the weekend of July 7th and 8th right in St. Paul! You can see the whole line up and get your ticket here.

2. Rock the Garden

Bon Iver is featured in this music festival located right by the Walker Art Center in it’s world-famous sculpture garden. Besides spending a nice July day to evening outside, you also get to listen to some hip artists that you enjoy listening to on 89.3 The Current, one of main sponsors for the event. The full list of artists was released on April 24th, and tickets go on sale to the public on today! Get ‘em here, and mark your calendar for July 22nd!

3. Soundset

Soundset is conveniently located at the Minnesota State Fairgrounds in St. Paul and features dozens of rap and hip hop artists over Memorial Day weekend on May 28th. Artists include Mac Miller, D.R.A.M. and Minneapolis natives Atmosphere just to name a few of the 40+ artists set to perform. Tickets are already up for sale and going fast, definitely check it out here.

4. Summer Set

Summer Set is a camping and music festival that’s nearby in Milwaukee, Wisconsin the weekend of August 11-13th. If you to spend the weekend outdoors camping, listening to music and doing whatever shenanigans you want, you should definitely consider taking the weekend off and road tripping with friends. The lineup was just released and you can check it out here. You can be sure it’ll include some familiar names and some up-and-coming talent. You can also purchase your wristbands and reserve a camping spot along with your tickets. The website features several different options to fit your plans, and also a festival guide to get your hyped and adequately prepared. If you’ve never been to festival before, especially one that incorporates camping, you should read this. Knowing what to expect and watch out for is important for being able to have a good time!

5. WE Fest

WE Fest is one of the biggest country music festivals and takes place a couple of hours north from the cities in Detroit Lakes, Minnesota. It’s another festival with optional, but fun, camping and takes place over a whole weekend, rain or shine. August 3rd-5th you can listen to artists like Luke Bryan, Lady Antebellum and Zac Brown Band in the sunshine while having a good time with your friends. Tickets are already for sale, and you can check out all the other artists and details of the festival here.

There’s also tons of low-key outdoor concerts happening during the summer in the Twin Cities area and most of them are completely free. There’s a list here, here and my favorite, the “music in the parks” series, here. Check out the different shows and dates if you’re looking for something to do and some new artists to listen to. Artists like Father John Misty will be in the area throughout the summer, and the Dixie Chicks, Demi Lovato and Nick Jonas are set to be at the Minnesota State Fair at the end of August! Keep a lookout around town for posters of more concerts that come up. Even Facebook is great way to keep up with events and concerts in the Twin Cities!

There are also tons of other Her Campus articles about festivals around the nation and ways to look chic for them – you can check them out here. Start saving, and get ready for a nice sunny summer of some good lives music, collegiettes!

Anna Rosin

Minnesota

I'm from St. Louis, Missouri and I'm currently going to school at the University of Minnesota, located in Minneapolis.