Bill Peters: Changing His Path for the Better

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Minnesota chapter.

Bill Peters is a teaching specialist at the University of Minnesota who instructs the lab section of HORT 1001: Plant Propagation. His love for plants and teaching really makes his class interesting for the students. It always makes learning more personal if the students can feel how much a professor is devoted to what they’re doing. Bill has had a few changes in his career, but has found a combination of his passion for teaching and gardening that really work for him. As one of his students, it’s very refreshing to hear that it’s okay to change your mind a few times on what you want to do for the rest of your life.

Q. What’s your education background?

A: Originally, I received a BA in Advertising Journalism and then I went back to night school for accounting.

Q. What do you have your master’s in?

A: Plant Genetics.

Q. Where did you get all of your degrees?

A: The University of Minnesota

Q. What made you decide to go back to get your master’s and teach?

A: I thought about going back to school for a long time, but [accounting] was one of those jobs that paid a lot of money and was hard to leave, but I loved my garden. My job was really stressful and I would just go into my garden, and it would be really relaxing. So I decided to start learning more about it and taking classes…I looked around for a research assistantship and got one of those and got a master’s in plant genetics. I TA’ed [for the Plant Propagation class] when I was in my master’s program and then afterwards, I was really close to taking another job and the University called me and asked me if I wanted to come back to teach] and I immediately said yes.

Q. What advice would you give to students who are trying to decide their major?

A: Internships! I wouldn’t have known that I really like teaching unless I did it, and you just don’t know until you try it. And also, allow yourself to do things that are uncomfortable because the more you do it, it seems like the easier it gets.

Q. What’s your favorite thing about teaching?

A: Watching the students become people during the semester because it’s all blank faces at the beginning. As the semester goes on, these individuals are there and it’s interesting!

Q. What’s your favorite plant?

A: I really like the peonies in the spring–their look and their smell. Unfortunately, they don’t really last long. Barring that, the herbs we have in our garden. We go out and we get to make our salads.

Since so many students are worrying about finding their majors or wondering if their majors are right for them, it’s always a good reminder to hear that you’re not locked into one job for the rest of your life. We need more professors to share their stories with us to reassure us that it’s okay to change your mind and your direction in life.

Erin Gallagher is a sophomore at the University of Minnesota studying child psychology. Her dream job is being a therapist for adolescents and helping them through their difficult times. In her freetime, she loves to lift weights at the gym and see movies with her friends. Follow her on Instagram to see what she's up to! @eringallagher96