This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Minnesota chapter.

I’m the first to admit that I’m a pop culture junkie and for me a new year means plenty of new movies, television shows, and music to get excited about. 2018 is no exception, so here are some of the newest media releases to look forward to this year.

Black Panther

Words can’t describe how absolutely PUMPED I am for this film. Black Panther made his marvel debut in Captain America: Civil War, but now he’s suiting up for his first stand-alone film. There’s a lot riding on this film because it’s introducing an entire new aspect of the Marvel universe and a new civilization that’s supposed to blend African traditions with a highly technologically advanced society. Additionally, this is the first superhero film EVER to feature a predominantly black cast. It’s about damn time. Watch the trailer here.

Avengers: Infinity War

Can you tell that I like superhero films? All biases aside, it’s hard to deny that Marvel films are currently the powerhouse of movie franchises. The trailer was a bit dizzying with the amount of characters packed into this film. Marvel Studios president Kevin Feige promises an end to the current Avengers storyline within the next two years, which means that Infinity War may be the last time some of our favorite superheroes grace the silver screen. Whatever happens in this film, I know I’ll be on the edge of my seat. Watch the action-packed trailer here.

Ocean’s 8

The original Ocean’s movies were filled with tons of actions and twists, however they weren’t filled with enough incredible female actresses kicking butt alongside the men. This reboot promises the same amount of thrills as the originals, but this time some of our favorite actresses are taking the lead. The film stars Sandra Bullock, Rihanna, Cate Blanchett, Mindy Kaling and plenty more. Watch the trailer here.

Incredibles 2

I’VE WAITED FOURTEEN YEARS FOR THIS. As a kid I was obsessed with The Incredibles and it completely sparked my love of superheroes. Pixar is keeping many of the details a secret, except this time Elastigirl will be the center of attention. The teaser trailer  is already the most-viewed animated movie trailer ever so I know I’m not the only one excited about this. Incredibles 2 will be released on June 15th.

Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom

I’m a little biased on this film because I’m someone that could watch any of the Jurassic Park movies on repeat and never get tired of them. Also, I’m in love with Chris Pratt. In an interview with The Independent, director J.A. Bayona describes the film as a “disaster dinosaur movie”–sounds exciting to me. We’ll have to wait until the summer to finally see it in theaters, but for now you can watch the trailer on repeat.

The Hate You Give

Entertainment Weekly recently published a sneak-peek of the film adaption of Angie Thomas’ wildly popular young adult novel The Hate You Give. The story was inspired by the Black Lives Matter movement and centers around a young girl who witnesses her unarmed friend being shot by a police officer. The lead character is played by Amandla Stenberg who is famous for her other roles in YA film adaptations of The Hunger Games and Everything, Everything as well as her active role in social issues such as gender, cultural appropriation and intersectional feminism. The film is still in production but you can read more about Amandla in her interview with Vogue.

Happy watching, Gophers!

Jillian McMahan

Minnesota '19

Jillian McMahan is a senior studying child psychology at the University of Minnesota. She aspires to one day be the Leslie Knope of her workplace.