element5 digital fuZWqL1C2rM unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
element5 digital fuZWqL1C2rM unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

9 Holiday Movies to Watch on Netflix

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Minnesota chapter.

There’s no better feeling than snuggling up with some hot cocoa and watching your fave holiday movie on Netflix. Whether you’re looking to procrastinate on your homework or if you’re looking to watch a flick with the fam, here are some festive holiday movies on Netflix!

A Christmas Kiss

This is your typical “girl meets boy, but boy has a girlfriend” movie, but with a dash of Christmas sprinkled in. You’ll be rooting for the protagonist the whole movie and hoping that she receives her “Christmas kiss!”

12 Dates of Christmas

The moral of the story (and of every story, let’s be real) is to never get back with your ex. Like, ever. The main character has to be reminded this over and over again until she can try to get it right with a new cutie. It’s a great reminder to not look at your past and keep moving forward, otherwise you might have to relive the same day and the same mistakes.

Marry Me for Christmas

This girl is the queen of being a single lady at Christmas. She brings home a friend for the holidays and her family assumes that they’re dating, so she just rolls with it instead of dealing with the fact that she’s still #foreveralone. (I’m definitely debating stealing this plan!) It’s the classic idea that a woman can be super strong and successful, but she still is nothing without a man, but this lady is telling that stereotype to take a hike.

Last Holiday

Queen Latifah slays in this movie! It really makes you wonder what you would do if you only had a few weeks left to live, but I think we can all agree that she did it right. While traveling around the country, she was literally living like a queen.

Christmas with the Kranks

This is one of the few Christmas movies that doesn’t involve a sappy love story! Tim Allen, the star of the movie, is trying to skip Christmas to go on a cruise with his wife. Seriously? Who would skip Christmas? It’s only the most wonderful time of the year!

Santa Buddies

It’s puppies trying to save Santa Claus. Please tell me what can be cuter than that? And if the plot isn’t up to your high cinematography standards, you can just mute the movie and watch cute puppies run around for an hour and a half!

White Christmas

White Christmas is one of the most iconic Christmas movies of all time. Its classic songs are more than likely going to get stuck in your head until it’s not-so-white outside anymore. It’s something that can be watched with the whole family so your dad can constantly use his typical phrases, “in my days…” or “when I was a kid…”

Love Actually

This movie is stacked with the best actors and actresses in town. It has Hugh Grant, Liam Neeson and Keira Knightley to name a few. It’s almost like if Beyoncé, The Weeknd, Adele and Bruno Mars all decided to go on tour together (please, can this happen?). It’s great acting combined with the multiple love stories makes for an all around great flick.

Scrooged

Another Christmas classic that’s a must-watch for the holiday season. I don’t think it’s possible to get sick of hearing the story of Ebenezer Scrooge- the grumpy and selfish old man who despises Christmas but with some help, eventually comes to be the biggest Christmas fan of all time. There have been many versions done of this storyline, but the one with Bill Murray will have you laughing in the present and in the future.

Get cozy this holiday season, Gophers, and let us know on Facebook what your favorite movies are from this list!

Erin Gallagher is a sophomore at the University of Minnesota studying child psychology. Her dream job is being a therapist for adolescents and helping them through their difficult times. In her freetime, she loves to lift weights at the gym and see movies with her friends. Follow her on Instagram to see what she's up to! @eringallagher96