This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Minnesota chapter.

I have a confession to make: I’m a Netflix addict. On most weekends you can find me curled up with my laptop and a bowl of popcorn. I’ll watch just about any kind of movie, (except horror movies) but I have a special place in my heart for romance movies. Below are some of the best romantic movies currently available on Netflix. So grab your snacks, gal pals and start watching!

Silver Linings Playbook

Jennifer Lawrence won an Academy Award for her performance as Tiffany in this drama, and rightfully so, as she conveys every emotion of love and heartbreak with pitch perfect acting. This movie deals primarily with mental illness and relationships between family members and ex-lovers. Plus, there’s an awesome dance scene at the end, so you can’t go wrong with this pick.  

Eternal Sunshine for the Spotless Mind

One of the more cerebral options, pun absolutely intended, the film presents the idea, “If you could erase someone from your memory, would you?” The plot travels through the memories of the protagonists’ relationship in a gorgeous way, creating a dream-like experience while watching a relationship fall apart and come back together again.

Before We Go

We all love living in Minneapolis, but no one can deny that New York City has a special kind of magic in its streets. There are plenty of gorgeous images of The City that Never Sleeps (and also some gorgeous images of Chris Evans) in this film. Here’s the deal: two people meet by chance in Grand Central Station and they end up on a night adventure that changes their lives. The movie’s beautiful, real and will seriously make you want to visit New York.

How to Make an American Quilt

I watched this movie with my mom right before leaving for college, and we both ended up in tears. “How to Make an American Quilt” focuses on the different love stories of several women as they weave their memories into a wedding quilt. The vignettes from each of the women touch on ideas of interracial relationships, the love between mothers and daughters, what happens when young love fades away and how to repair yourself after heartbreak. Plus, it stars Winona Ryder at her peak, as well as other fabulous actresses such as Ellen Burstyn and Maya Angelou.

Comet

“Comet” is one of the best indie gems hidden on Netflix. Two people meet during a meteor shower, and from there the audience sees fragments from the most important moments of their relationship. Neither person is perfect. Both characters are awkward and make mistakes, and maybe offend each other from time to time, but what grows from their interactions is something natural and beautiful.

Sliding Doors

In this movie, Gwyneth Paltrow stars as Helen, a woman who experiences one life-changing second. The movie splits into two narratives, one where Helen misses her train and meets a dreamy new suitor, and the other when she returns home in time to find her boyfriend cheating on her. Both narratives unfold in dramatically different ways with both scenarios taking the protagonist on a journey filled with love and heartbreak.

In Your Eyes

“In Your Eyes” has one of the most unique plots of a romance movie I have ever seen. Two people of completely different backgrounds find out that they’re mentally connected and can feel, see and hear what the other person experiences. Their lives become intertwined in a way that no one else understands.

Love Actually

Alright, this one goes without saying. Nearly everyone I have met has seen Love Actually, but just because it’s popular doesn’t take away from it’s greatness. Eight couples, all staring amazing British actors and actresses, are loosely intertwined as the winter holidays arrive (it’s a great film to watch year round). Like some of the other picks on this list, it looks at relationships in multiple ways and shows that romantic gestures aren’t the only ways to show your love for someone.

Honorable Mention: Moonrise Kingdom

While this quirky and stylish Wes Anderson film is more of a coming-of-age story, the relationship that blossoms between Sam and Suzy as they run away from home is everything that young love should be; awkward, silly and touching.

Hopefully this list inspires your next movie marathon. Grab your cozy sweats, friends and plenty of snacks and settle in!

Jillian McMahan

Minnesota '19

Jillian McMahan is a senior studying child psychology at the University of Minnesota. She aspires to one day be the Leslie Knope of her workplace.