burgess milner OYYE4g I5ZQ unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
burgess milner OYYE4g I5ZQ unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

7 Trends to Rock this Fall and Winter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Minnesota chapter.

We all want to be fashionable, but let’s get real, staying caught up with the trends can be difficult if you’re working with a Target budget (and sometimes even that’s a little too pricey!). Not to worry, I’ve compiled a list of nine of the hottest trends for fall and winter and thought of some alternative ways to incorporate these looks into your closet without breaking the bank.

The Trend: Power Red

According to Elle magazine, bright and bold reds are the official color of fall. Pieces designed by names like Oscar de la Renta, Fenti (pictured below), and Armani all featured plenty of pieces with this cherry hue.

How to Rock It:

If wearing head-to-toe red seems a little intimidating try wearing pops of this color as nail polish or your lipstick (which will look super cute with your Starbucks cups, BTW). Check out this sweater from ASOS or dress up this Forever 21 skirt with some cozy tights and boots!

The Trend: Business Savvy

Suits, shoulders and stripes were all over the runway. Stella McCartney had a lot of retro and professional looks, as did Calvin Klein. This isn’t the only trend throwing it back to the 80’s and 90’s, but it’ll definitely bring out your inner Boss Lady *cue retro pop jam*.

How to Rock It:

Two words: grey check (check out these pants which are the exact print we’re talking about). Or houndstooth is a good alternative (like this blouse from Topshop). Pair your blazer with some jeans and trendy sneakers for a more casual look.

The Trend: Polka Dots

Polka dots are back and no one is happier than I am. Many of the runway looks featuring this design also went with the head-to-toe print, like Armani and Balenciaga.

How to Rock It:

Black and white polka dots are a great way to add a fun twist to any outfit. Polka dots can also be mixed with many of the other trends on this list, like bold red or denim (more on that later). It is a super versatile print that you can wear as a dress, a top or even pants!

The Trend: GLITTER

If you’re someone that likes glitter you’re in luck. All things glitter, metallic and embellished were all over the runways. Just check out the shiny looks from the Chanel Fall collection below.

How to Rock It:

Metallic has been around for a while, so many stores have pieces that fulfill your shiny and sparkly dreams. Add a little shine to your look with these fun loafers or go all out in a glittery dress. Jazz up any simple outfit with some fun jewelry or try make-up products that have just a little bit of sparkle (or a lot).

The Trend: Cozy Knits

Fall and winter is exactly the perfect time to break out the sweaters. The runways took knitting to a whole new level, more specifically they went BIG. Hats, scarves, sweaters, dresses, you name it. The chunkier the knit, the better.

How to Rock It:

Don’t be afraid to go big with your sweaters. Pair a long cardigan with a statement t-shirt (which are also very trendy now) and some dark wash jeans for a cute and comfy outfit!

The Trend: Double Denim

The Canadian Tuxedo is back! This revamped look appeared on the runways of Dior, Calvin Klein, and Stella McCartney.

How to Rock It:

I personally love denim, it’s a rare occasion when I am not wearing jeans or my denim jacket in the fall. One way to work the double denim look without looking too much like a tuxedo is mixing light and dark denim or experiment with embellishes and distressing. Plus, a simple denim jacket is classic and can last you for years.

The Trend: Couch Florals

Remember when Kim Kardashian wore that dress. Yeah, all memes aside, that look is trendy now. Ralph Lauren, Balenciaga and Vivienne Westwood all have dark and retro florals in their fall collections.

How to Rock It:

This dress from Asos is the perfect combination of dark fall colors and girly prints. If you want to try something bolder you can try printed pants or mix several trends with this velvet, embellished floral top.

Hopefully I gave you some ideas for your next shopping spree! What looks will you be rocking this season?

Jillian McMahan

Minnesota '19

Jillian McMahan is a senior studying child psychology at the University of Minnesota. She aspires to one day be the Leslie Knope of her workplace. 
Anna Rosin

Minnesota

I'm from St. Louis, Missouri and I'm currently going to school at the University of Minnesota, located in Minneapolis.