6 Ways to Decorate Your Dorm for the Holidays

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Minnesota chapter.

The winter holidays have the best, brightest and most spirited decorations of the year. Just because you live in a dorm with limited space doesn’t mean you have to miss out on the season’s cheer! Check out these easy and cheap dorm decorations that will get you in the holiday mood:

1. Door decorations

Let your neighbors know that you’re feeling the spirit of the season from the outside of your dorm! Your door decoration will spread some holiday fun to your hall. Use your favorite wrapping paper to cover your door completely and make your room look like a giant present! Or, a quicker option is to turn your door into a cute snowman with just a little bit of construction paper and tape.

2. Ornaments

You don’t need a tree to hang ornaments! Pick up a box of your favorite colored ornaments and tie a piece of ribbon or fishing line around the loop on top. Choose how far you want them to hang and attach them to a window or a wall. You can tape them or tie them to a piece of garland, like this example.

3. Paper snowflakes

Paper snowflakes are a winter favorite for easy decorating. They’re fun to make (though you’ll have paper scraps on your floor forever), and they easily add fun winter vibes to your room. Just grab a piece of printer paper and scissors and you’re all set! Check out some pretty patterns here to bring your snowflake game to the next level.

4. Sticky note Christmas tree

Want a Christmas tree in your dorm but you have no room? Save space and create a Christmas tree out of green sticky notes on some free wall space. Use the sticky notes to write out your wish list, notes to your roommate or motivational finals notes!

5. Winter designs with washi tape

If you’re like me, you’re always looking for a reason to use patterned washi tape. This holiday season, make wintry designs like reindeer, snowflakes, wreaths or menorahs with washi tape. They’re easy to make and easy to remove!

6. Lights

Just because many of us have lights up in our rooms all year round, doesn’t mean that they’re not still super pretty and festive. Drape string lights across your room using removable hooks for a cozy, wintry feel. Or, if you have a bunked bed, you can do what I did and string them underneath your bed.

Have fun getting creative with holiday decorations to get you in the spirit this winter!

Natalee is a sophomore at the University of Minnesota Twin Cities. Despite being a girl from Green Bay in Vikings territory, she loves her Minnesota home.