Culture > News

5 Reasons Why You Should Vote in the Midterms

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Minnesota chapter.

The midterm elections are just a couple days away and TV screens across America are filled with candidates vying for your vote. You probably know that this election is a BIG deal, and most of you have either registered to vote, or been preached to the importance of voting. This is only step one, as registering only takes you part of the way. On Tuesday, it’ll be time to take fifteen minutes out of your day and actually make a difference for your nation! Here’s six reasons why you should vote on November 6:

1. Perspective

We live in a free nation where no matter your gender, race, religion, etc. everybody 18 and over has the right to vote for a candidate who they feel best represents their values. Not every nation has the same freedom in their elections that we do. In totalitarian governments like North Korea, citizens are only presented with one candidate in the district they live in, and not voting would be considered an act of treason. Women in Vatican City can’t even vote. It’s important to consider how lucky we are to have the voting rights that we do in the US, for not everyone is as lucky.

2.  Politicians will be more inclined to ignore us

Young adults in the United States (ages 18-29) make up half of the voting population, but have the lowest voter turnout, with only 46.1% in 2016. This will make our issues smaller in the politicians’ eyes. Think about the issues that are important to you, and make them listen! Our voices will be powerful.

3. Voting is the most powerful form of participation

There are many ways to participate politically: protests, supporting candidates and more. The most important form is voting. As Robert Frost said, “Thinking isn’t agreeing or disagreeing. That’s voting”. Voting is the most direct and has the most influence in both the House and the Senate. Many argue that one vote doesn’t count, but Senator Al Franken won by just 312 votes in 2008. If this isn’t a prime example that every vote counts, I don’t know what is.

4. Midterms are IMPORTANT!

Both midterm and national elections are important, but the candidates on the midterm ballot have more of an effect on our day-to-day lives such as our Reps and Senators. Several House and Senate seats are currently up for reelection nationwide. If one or both houses flip parties, it can change the dynamic of our country. It will especially be an intense race in Minnesota, with the Senate special election and the governor’s seat wide open. America will have its eyes on us.

5. Appreciate the struggles that our grandparents went through

From the granting of women’s suffrage to the voting rights act of 1965, our grandparents have endured many hardships for our ability to vote. Voting is a privilege that was given to us, and we cannot discard it.

The midterms are approaching fast, and I hope everyone reading this will get off the couch on November 6th and head to the polls. The time is NOW. Don’t wait for change to come to you. Go and be the change. Your country needs you!

Ava Thompson

Minnesota '22

A freshman at the University of Minnesota hoping to study Political Science. Lover of all things food, nature, and Minneapolis!
Jillian McMahan

Minnesota '19

Jillian McMahan is a senior studying child psychology at the University of Minnesota. She aspires to one day be the Leslie Knope of her workplace.