12 Signs You’re a Grandma in a 20-something-year-old body

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Minnesota chapter.

Ever question if you’re a grandma, but you’re nowhere old enough to be one? I do, every day. When I was five I lost my grandma and by eight my other grandma and grandpa passed away within a month of each other. Losing my grandparents at such a young age was hard and I wish I could see them every day; however, I carry them with me in my everyday life and who I am as a person, even if I’m “too young” to really take on these hobbies and pastimes.

I get my crafty and creative side from my grandma on my mom’s side. I love to crochet, knit, sew, you name it. I got my music ability from my grandma on my dad’s side. I love playing and listening to some of the great classical music from Beethoven to Listz to Brahms. My grandpa on my mom’s side loved fishing and so do I. I can sit outside on the lake in peace with my fishing rod waiting for that tug on the fishing line. I also just encapsulate my grandparents through my love for naps, my lack of eyesight and my love of Raisin Bran. Here are some qualities you might have if you’re a grandma in your 20s like me:

1. You watch a lot of TV shows about cooking or houses. Name any show on Food Network or HGTV and you’ve probably watched it.

2. You go to bed at 9:30 pm because sleeping is what keeps you alive.

3. You like crafting for yourself and/or others.

4. You look at younger people and think of them as children.

5. Your favorite thing to spend money on is food to feed yourself and others.

6. People who don’t dress appropriately for the weather distress you

7. Naps are everything (including “resting your eyes”). They keep you going through the day.

8. When people talk about going out, you must mentally prepare yourself for what is to come because you prefer to stay in and watch Netflix.

9. There’s a cat or lapdog that you obsess over because they are a major part of your life.

10. You’re always cold and have no shame wearing multiples of anything to keep you warm.

11. You correct people’s grammar and don’t feel bad about it.

12. The larger the font, the better because you have the eyes of a 70-year-old.

20-something-year-olds that act like grandmas aren’t just any grandmas, they are cool grandmas you want to be friends with because they will feed you, love you and care for you.

Anna Rosin

Minnesota

I'm from St. Louis, Missouri and I'm currently going to school at the University of Minnesota, located in Minneapolis.