This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Minnesota chapter.

FALL IS HERE, B*TCHES! It’s my fav, and I’m not afraid to shout it from the bottom of a leaf pile. If you’re looking for inspiration on how to make the most of this season, here are a few of my favorite things:

1. Booties and Sweaters and Scarves (oh my)

If you take a peek into my closet, you’d think I have a problem. Scarves cascading to the floor, piles and piles of sweaters, more booties than my budget allows for and leggings upon jeans upon sweatpants. Full disclosure: I *might* have a problem. For me, one of the clearest indicators that fall has awakened is being able to wear booties and sweaters and scarves and not be miserably hot. I can’t express how fiercely put together I feel, wearing some of the comfiest articles of clothing known to women. My favorite touch to an outfit like this is a smear of Revlon Ultra HD Matte Lipcolor Moisturizing Lipstick, found at Target.

2. Don’t Sweat It

If you were built for fall, like me, you probably know the struggle; sweating profusely in temperatures over 60 degrees. There I’d be, walking to class, praying to the temperature Gods to have mercy on me and my sweat glands… but to no avail. Now, thanks to fall, here I am: walking at a brisk pace with not a care in the world, wearing layer after layer, deliciously as dry as a glass of Sauvignon Blanc.

3. One Little Candle…Or Twenty Large Ones

I’m that girl who stands with a match in her hand, ready to strike as soon as the temperature falls below 60 degrees. As soon as it does, BAM. Match, strike, flame, smell. Candles are a staple in my life during fall, and I go through an impressively large amount in the span of an equally impressively short amount of time. This season, my favorite smells are Sangria Sunset and Tobacco Cedar. I usually reach for a Signature Soy candle since they burn up to 50 hours (and yes, I’ll burn it for the full 50 hours), but crackling wood wick candles have a special place in my heart, too.

4. Snuggling Furry Things

One of the most tragic things about summer is being too hot to properly snuggle my cats. They’re hot, I’m hot, they’re shedding, I’m sweating…it’s a mess. As soon as the temp drops and we throw the windows open for some fresh, cool air, and we’re all up in each other’s business. Did you know that purring has therapeutic benefits? Humans who experience a cat’s purr are usually found to have lower stress levels. If you don’t have a furry friend in your home to snuggle, I highly encourage you to take full advantage of the PAWS program on campus this fall and receive your own animal therapy.

5. Tea

Here’s the tea: I freaking love chai. I love it all year round, truth be told, but there’s nothing quite like transitioning from iced chai in the summer to hot chai in the fall. To quote my good friend Ryan Reynolds from The Proposal, it’s like Christmas in a cup. The next time you’re feeling down from midterms and stress, grab a cup of chai from Bordertown! You’ll feel better, I promise. I feel like it’s my duty to add that you can buy a carton of chai tea from Target as well, and it’s *much* cheaper in the long run. If you’re not a chai person but do love tea, some of my other favorites are Teavana’s Jade Citrus Mint Green Tea and Youthberry White Tea, available at Starbucks.   

6. Carving Out Time For Those Pumpkins

I’m not an artist by any means, but I love me some fall festivities. Get your friends together, hit up a pumpkin patch (this year, I’m hitting up the Afton Apple Orchard, which also has a pumpkin patch) and get to carving. It’s a great casual weekend activity, and you can spice things up by making a contest out of it. Make a classic face in your pumpkin, or challenge yourself to make something truly extraordinary this year, like I am: Captain America’s face. Once you’re done, just add a candle and your masterpiece is complete!

7. Becoming One With Nature

Fall in Minneapolis is a treat to experience. There’s so much nature in our city, and this is the perfect time of year to take advantage of it all. Have you ever biked across the Stone Arch Bridge? Walked through Boom Island Park? Did you know there’s a wooden staircase leading down to hidden waterfalls and bridges right next to the Mississippi River? If you have access to transportation, one of my favorite things to do is to take a day trip to the North Shore and hike around the stunning fall foliage. Just don’t leave a trip to the North Shore without first stopping at Betty’s Pies for some delicious treats.

8. Paint With All the Colors of the Wind

Speaking of nature, one of the best things about this season change is watching the leaves transition from green to a blend of red, orange, yellow and brown. My personal favorites are the red leaves, but I’ll never say no to a stunning portrait of yellow-orange. The crunch of these crisp leaves under my favorite pair of booties is music to my ears, and there’s nowhere I’d rather be than at the bottom of a handsomely large leaf pile. And, if you’re looking to get some exercise in this fall, raking up leaves is a great place to start!

9. Apple Picking

I don’t know if there’s a proven science to this, but apples just simply taste better directly from the tree. Maybe it’s the accompanying hayride; maybe it’s the caramel provided to dip them in after they’re picked…maybe it’s Maybelline. This year, I have my sights set on checking out the Afton Apple Orchard in Hastings. Oof, I sure know how to pick ‘em.

10. Reading

Okay, let’s be real: this isn’t an exclusive fall activity. BUT, you can’t deny, there’s nothing like swaddling up in your favorite fuzzy blanket and curling up with a book as the crisp fall air flutters through the window. Add your favorite furry friend into the mix, and you’ve leveled up even more! Some books on my list to curl up with this fall include The Couple Next Door by Shari Lapena, The 25th Hour by David Benioff and The Girl Who Saved the King of Sweden by Jonas Jonasson.

11. Bubble Baths

Two of my favorite things are scents and staying warm in the cool fall air, so it’s a no-brainer that I love bubble baths. Turn the lights down low, light a few candles, unashamedly blast some Enya and feel the worries of the day ebb away. I do love a good bath bomb, but I have to admit that I prefer bubble bath soap in the long run. My favorite brand is Dr. Teal’s Foaming Bath, which can be found at Target. If you’re not someone who can just sit in the tub and relax by doing nothing, you can also bring a book in with you, or your laptop and watch some Netflix.  

12. Bonfires

Friends, flannels, firewood. A perfect fall day isn’t complete without a roaring fire and a glass of wine, listening to crickets and conversation and—if you’re like my friend group—country music. For the best experience, don’t forget to eat s’mores with Reese’s peanut butter cups (name a more iconic duo…I’ll wait). There’s something so comforting about the smell of bonfire, and I want to hug myself in the aroma even after we’ve all gone home.  

In conclusion, fall is the best. Hopefully, now you have some ideas of how to make the most of fall and will join me in apple picking and pumpkin carving and bonfire having. Let the unbe-leaf-able fun commence!

Kayleen Hedberg

Minnesota '19

Kayleen is a a senior at the University of Minnesota studying English and Creative Writing. She is a Hufflepuff, a cat mom and lover of all things superhero.
Jillian McMahan

Minnesota '19

Jillian McMahan is a senior studying child psychology at the University of Minnesota. She aspires to one day be the Leslie Knope of her workplace.