10 Thoughts You Have In An Undefined Relationship

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Minnesota chapter.

Almost every relationship starts with a weird and uncertain phase. Though some of those phases may last longer than others, chances are you’ve experienced an “undefined relationship,” where both of you don’t really know what’s going on but you’re equally too scared to ask. Undefined relationships come to an end when you and your partner decide to either pull the trigger or cut it off, but during that middle-ground phase, you definitely have thought these things:

“Play it cool.”

Okay, I like you, but I’m trying to be chill about it. Don’t do anything weird.

“How do I introduce you?”

Boyfriend? Definitely not, that’s too much. Friend? No, that’s weird too. Someone I make out with sometimes? Ehh. Nothing seems to fit right.

“If my friends could stop asking me what is going on with us, that would be nice.”

“But actually friends, please ask me about it because I want to talk about my crush like a 5th grader.”

“When is it appropriate for me to tell my mom?”

Have they told their mom?

“What if this doesn’t work out?”

I can’t let myself get too attached. Do not reveal any personal information.

“I reeeeeeally want to go on a date with you, but I’m trying to be subtle.”

“How do we interact in public?”

Can we hold hands? Kiss? Awkward hug?

“Eventually, we’ll have to figure out what this is.”

But I’m not going to be the first to ask.

“How long until I’m allowed to stop shaving my legs?”

Undefined relationships happen all the time, and no matter how many we have, they’re always confusing, but can also be really fun, too. When the time comes to either decide to break it up or start dating for real, voice your thoughts and clearly communicate so you and your partner are on the same page.

Natalee is a sophomore at the University of Minnesota Twin Cities. Despite being a girl from Green Bay in Vikings territory, she loves her Minnesota home.