10 Forgotten Disney Films

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Minnesota chapter.

Disney movies are the ultimate cure. From sheer boredom to numbing nostalgia, they infiltrate the mind and instill within us stories full of magic and wonder. As Disney has evolved, some films have become more notable than others and thus more remembered and revered. Despite this favoritism, there are other Disney movies that have been unjustly sidelined which deserve the same appreciation and contain just as must magic as the others. The movies listed below should be rewatched over and over again, a distraction that’s as old as time.

1. The Rescuers

A classic, this tale about two mice who set off on an adventure to rescue the orphan Penny and her teddy from the villainess Medusa and her two pet crocodiles is one that is a must watch.

2. The Black Cauldron

A movie that doesn’t seem to fit within the Disney universe, this story about Taran and the band of interesting characters he meets on his journey to stop the evil Horned King from obtaining the cauldron will send you reeling back into the ages of dark magic and grand adventure.

3. The Great Mouse Detective

A comedy based off of Sherlock Holmes, The Great Mouse Detective sets off to foil the evil Professor Ratigan’s plans to rule England before it’s too late. This fast paced adventure will make you laugh and help you forget the major assignments you have due the next day.

4. Oliver and Company

Once upon a time in New York City, a cat sets off to find a home and gets tangled with a band of misfit dogs with definitive personalities. This jazzy depiction of struggle in the Big Apple is one that will pull on your heartstrings and keep you captivated for its entire 74 minutes.

5. Dinosaur

One of Disney’s first non-Pixar computer animated film, the movie follows the story of the orphaned Iguanodon, who with his adopted family of lemurs, travels and endures the hardships of the jurassic period. A movie that should be watched in remembrance of old CGI, Dinosaur will not fail to maintain your interest.

6. Atlantis: The Lost Empire

The action-packed adventure of a cartographer and linguistic who aids other experts on a journey to the legendary and mysterious city of Atlantis is full of wonder, betrayal, magic and is one of Disney’s forgotten masterpieces that has stood the test of time.

7. Treasure Planet

A movie featuring a troubled teenager who comes across a secret map that shows the way to a place full of riches known from stories as Treasure Planet. The film does not hesitate with darker themes, and it features space in a whole new light.

8. Brother Bear

This movie encompasses the true meaning of finding family in anyone is a wonderful story that speaks about brotherhood in an impactful manner. If a cute bear cub isn’t enough to entice you, maybe the aspect of learning how to look at a perspective through another person’s eyes will.

9. Chicken Little

An animated version of a well-known story, Chicken Little takes the story of finding that the sky was falling and turns it into an intergalactic tale that will suspend your disbelief and make you laugh.

10. Meet the Robinsons

This story about an intelligent orphan boy trying to find his family and place of belonging is a moving motion-picture that depicts the future in a colorful and innovative way, and also instills important lessons of never giving up and always moving forward in a new light.

These Dinsey films have stood the test of time, but you’ll have to watch them for yourself to see if you think they can compare with the Disney classics. 

Second year student at the University of Minnesota, planning to major in Journalism and Political Science, as well as minor in Spanish.
Anna Rosin

Minnesota

I'm from St. Louis, Missouri and I'm currently going to school at the University of Minnesota, located in Minneapolis.