Why You Should Watch the Chilling Adventures of Sabrina #CAOS

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Millersville chapter.

Happy Halloween! Every Halloween, we all have our favorite scary movies.  It can be nice to have a new Halloween favorite. Between Huluween, and Netflix and Chills, I’m sure there are plenty of amazing spooky movies and shows out there. My two new spooky favorites are The Haunting of Hill House, and The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, both of which can be found on Netflix, however today I am only going to be talking about the latter.

Here are some reasons why The Chilling adventures of Sabrina is a great show.

The Riverdale/Archie Comics Connection

Fans of Riverdale will most likely love this new series. Both shows are in the same universe, as they are both based on the Archie comics. Chilling Adventures of Sabrina takes place in Greendale, which is a town over from Riverdale and is mentioned multiple times in Riverdale. The shows also both have a similar aesthetic as they share the same producer, Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa. So far, there aren’t any crossovers between the shows, but I would love to see some of the Riverdale cast on CAOS, and vice versa.

The Story & Themes

The synopsis: As her 16th birthday nears, Sabrina must choose between the witch world of her family and the human world of her friends. Based on the Archie comic.

Basically, Sabrina, half-witch, must decide whether she wants to live as a witch or a mortal, struggling to understand why she can’t have both. While this show features of course witches, magic, ghosts, some cannibalism, necromancy, etc; there are also some deeper themes that make me love this show even more. This shows definitely heavily features feminism, the idea that men fear women in power, of women coming together to protect each other. Additionally, there are also themes of deciding whether to be like the family before you or to be your own person. Many of the characters are struggling with how to honor your family while being a better person. More ideas include dealing with a genetic illness, and gender identities and sexuality.

This show definitely has a lit bit of everything. Romance, fantasy, horror, coming-of-age, etc. You’ll love Sabrina and Harvey’s relationship, Sabrina’s cat(familiar) Salem, her aunts and cousin, her best friends Roz and Susie, and even love to hate the weird sisters.

So give it a watch, there are 10 episodes in the first season, and the second season is scheduled to come out in 2019.

Gifs courtesy of Giphy.com and Images courtesy of Google.com

Olivia Lawrence

Millersville '22

Medical Technology Major Loves Food, Friends, Dogs
The top fashion and lifestyle magazine for college women! Located in Millersville, PA <3