This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Millersville chapter.

Now, I’m not usually one to post about the injustices of the Internet, but a new trend has popped up on my radar and, apparently, it’s mocking fashion and beauty bloggers. Recently, I stumbled upon a (very offensive) thread entitled, “Stupid things fashion bloggers say,” which can be found here.

This forum goes on for seven pages and is filled to the brim with hateful comments about fashion bloggers. Some even claimed that their “whole life is one big weekend” (this was written by a user named Turd Pendant, by the way), and that they do nothing but sit around and write posts all day – if they even exert that much effort.

The way I see it, fashion bloggers are often viewed as the “dumb blondes” of the Internet – they spend a majority of their lives drinking Starbucks and taking selfies, their vocabularies are limited, and whatever knowledge they do have is only limited to fashion. But these stereotypes are a part of a huge misconception.

Nowadays, your “typical” fashion or beauty blogger isn’t just cranking out posts because she likes the sound her acrylic nails make on her keyboard; she’s doing it because that’s how she makes a living. Most fashion and beauty bloggers are building a business around their blog. They form connections with other bloggers in their niche, become sponsors for large name-brand companies, and even go on to start their own clothing or makeup lines – have you heard of Bethany Mota? She started making YouTube videos in 2012 – when she was just fifteen years old – and has since launched her own clothing line through Aeropostale, which is wildly popular.

All in all, branding yourself is not an easy task. It takes intelligence, business sense, and determination to launch a successful blog that will gain followers and receive a high volume of web traffic. Not only that, but the blogger must be creative enough to design the webpage from top to bottom, and create compelling, daily blog posts that will keep their readers interested.

It’s totally mind-boggling that, in a society of people who are desperate to break free from their cubicles, people who are doing – and making a living from – what they love are being so harshly scrutinized. Rather than looking down on bloggers, shouldn’t we aspire to achieve what they do on a daily basis – to make our own hours, handle our own business, and have time to spend with our family and friends? My answer is yes, what is yours? Let me know your opinion on the matter in the comments below!

HCXO!

Dezi Donaldson

Millersville

I am a senior at Millersville University, where I am pursuing my bachelor's in communication studies. As the Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus Millersville, I am so thrilled to be able to lead and collaborate with the many creative students that populate our campus. My personal mission as EIC is to spread the word about Her Campus Millersville and bring the chapter back up to pink-level before I graduate in May 2017. In my spare time, I love binge-watching Grey's Anatomy on Netflix and spending time with my fiancé and our families. I'm also a sales associate at my local LOFT store and a proud fur mama to a sweet pup named Java. My passions include social media, fashion, coffee, and bad puns. My ultimate dream is to work for Her Campus Media at their headquarters in Boston, MA -- let's hope I can make it there! Instagram: @dezidonaldson
The top fashion and lifestyle magazine for college women! Located in Millersville, PA <3