Why Carly Rae Jepson Deserves Your Second Chance

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Millersville chapter.

Hey, I just met you… and this is crazy… but this song has been stuck in my head since 2012. Carly Rae Jepsen’s first radio hit was the song of the summer and is still one of the most loved-hated songs ever. Since then she has released a few other good singles, including “Good Time” with Owl City and “This Kiss.” She also sang the remake-theme song to Fuller House. But poor Jepson has never really been able to shake off that bubblegum pop image that “Call Me Maybe” gave her.

But it’s 2018, and you should give her a second chance.

Image courtesy of Uproxx.com

It may have been released three years ago now, but Jepsen’s album Emotion is considered by many low-key experts to be one of the best pop albums ever, but her image is holding her back. While her single “I Really Like You” didn’t do all too well on the charts, it was not a good representation of the album. If you take the plunge and go beyond the mainstream, juvenile sound of the single, you will find a “smart, sexy, synthy, ’80s wonderland… the best pop album of the year” as Cosmo Magazine put it back in 2015.

I know. How good can a potential-one-hit-wonders pop album really be? Answer: Very.

I had the same gut reaction you probably had at the title of this article when my boyfriend – yes, my indie-classic rock-rap-loving boyfriend – came to me and said it was one of the best pop albums he’s ever heard.  – “Seriously? Carly Rae Jepsen?”

Seriously. Carly Rae Jepsen.

The opening track, “Runaway with Me” is the bop I didn’t know I needed. It’s one of those songs that makes you wanna walk taller, drive faster and love deeper. While I still am not the biggest fan of her chosen single off Emotion, the rest of the album is ah-may-zing.

Listen and learn for yourself. It’s free on Spotify.

If this discovery taught me anything, it’s that second chances should be given out to everyone… even pop stars.

Carlee Nilphai

Millersville '19

Carlee is a Millersville University graduate with a BA in Print Journalism and a double minor in Music and Theatre. Her favorite topics to write about involve career, environmental issues, pop culture, budgeting hacks, and Taylor Swift. Carlee lives in Lancaster, PA and has a corgi named Alan.