This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Millersville chapter.

As of recently, protests to take action against the climate change have spiked and do not seem to be going down. Thanks to a little girl and her big voice, people are starting to listen.

16-year-old Greta Thunberg started her global movement back in 2018 by skipping school and camping out in front of the Swedish Parliament. She sat there for days and held up a sign stating, “School Strike for Climate.” This small act seemed to catch many people’s attention, it even led to other school climate strike movements such as Fridays for Future.

Since her solo strike outside the Swedish Parliament, Greta has gone on to address the 2018 United Nations Climate Change Conference, met with the Pope, quarreled with the President of the United States and even inspired 4 million people to join the global climate strike on September 20, 2019.

Her actions have evoked the will to change in people. Since her address at the climate change conference, there have been protests in cities around the word almost every week. All giving the same message, giving her message:

“It is still not too late to act. It will take a far-reaching vision, it will take courage, it will take fierce, fierce determination to act now, to lay the foundations where we may not know all the details about how to shape the ceiling. In other words, it will take cathedral thinking. I ask you to please wake up and make changes required possible.”

HCXO, Kayla

Images courtesy of Google Images

Kayla Campbell

Millersville '21

Senior at Millersville University majoring in Early Childhood and Special Education.
The top fashion and lifestyle magazine for college women! Located in Millersville, PA <3