What We Can Predict About Upcoming Horror Films

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Millersville chapter.

Praiseworthy horror films have become few and far between this year. While some have been highly anticipated releases, most reviews have been strikingly low. However, there are a handful of horror movies that are coming out between this year and next year that may change the tides of the recent horror drought.

Halloween Ends

“Halloween Ends” seems to be the last of the Halloween franchise that has been scaring viewers since 1978. I consider this the last installment because this is the last Halloween movie in which Jamie Lee Curtis will be playing her iconic role of Laurie Strode. It would be near impossible to make another Halloween movie without her and even if they did, I don’t believe anyone could fill the role that Jamie has played for so long and so well. I am hoping this final movie will tie up all loose ends that are left in the franchise. While creating another film just doesn’t fit the cards for the Halloween franchise, who knows? Maybe these films are as immortal as Michael Myers, though that may be due to change in this last film.

The Exorcist Remake

The revival of the “The Exorcist” fanbase has been in motion for some time now. The cult classic from 1973 has terrified and fascinated audience members for decades. Now, it is confirmed that a remake of the chilling film will be put out in 2023. While this is amazing news for some, I have a few worries about remaking such a classic horror film. “The Exorcist” is one of those movies where the fear it instills doesn’t erode over time. Some older generations still have this fear installed in them from when they first watched The Exorcist and remaking the movie can give younger generations the experiences their parents had with a modernized twist. My fear with this remake is that the scares won’t go over as well in a modernized fashion. There is something so horrific about the original film that I worry this new version won’t be able to replicate it. Will this new version of “The Exorcist” enhance the horror of decades worth of screams, or will it take away what makes this film such a stand-alone success? 

The Nun 2

Before I state my opinion on this next film, I want to preface it by saying that the Conjuring franchise is my favorite movie series of all time. That being said, I am in no way excited for the release of The Nun 2. The first installment of The Nun did fantastic at the box office grossing $365 million worldwide. This makes it the highest-grossing movie in the Conjuring franchise. So, from a money perspective, the film was a hit, but that doesn’t mean it was a good movie. “The Nun” had a messy plot that had very minimal ties to the other films in the Conjuring franchise that are common in their films. When I first saw the movie in theaters as an avid fan of the franchise, I left with way more questions than answers. Not to mention the movie itself just wasn’t that scary. The jump scares were predictable and oddly placed and the overall eerie feeling that is present in all other films in the franchise just wasn’t there. I dislike making such a negative review on a film in a series I love, but with everything seen in the first film I just can’t help but fear for the worst with this new installment. 

Prey For The Devil

“Prey For The Devil” is a new horror film coming out that looks to have some real potential. As a fan of paranormal horror, a new film involving exorcisms and the connections between heaven and hell is a real green flag in my book. Since this movie is a brand new, stand-alone film, it will be hard to predict what it will be like until you’re sitting in the theater. Just based on the trailers that have come out, the special effects and plot seem super interesting and well-crafted. Also, based on the trailer, we are getting what seems to be a new feminist protagonist who is working to become one of the first female exorcists in a male-dominated field. That in itself gives me something to feel excited about when it comes to this movie!

These movies are some of the more noteworthy upcoming additions to the horror genre. There are many others that will come out in the meantime and this is not to discourage you from watching these other movies. However, these movies I have mentioned are some of the most prevalent upcoming additions to horror, and I look forward to seeing how they meet – or miss – the mark.

HCXO,

Jackie

Jackie Pento

Millersville '26

Hi! My name is Jackie and I am a freshman at Millersville University! I am passionate about music, art, and video games!