This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Millersville chapter.

We’re almost there! Only a few weeks left of the fall semester, and I couldn’t be more excited for a break from the classes and assignments. It’s been such a long time since I’ve been able to make some tea, bundle up near the fireplace, and watch a comfort movie. I am an avid movie fan, and I always have a movie playing in the background. While I do enjoy some movies for the script or the acting, I also really enjoy movies that feel cozy. It doesn’t have to be particularly “good” for me to grab my heaviest blanket and turn the volume up. So, if you’re looking for some easy viewing and a good time, I’m your go-to movie girl this end-of-semester break. 

If you’re like me, with late November vibes, Thanksgiving spirit, and the holidays swiftly approaching, you’re in the mood for a movie that will give you that same energy. Therefore, I’ve compiled a list of my top 10 favorite fall comfort movies, even if they have nothing to do with the season. The only two requirements for the following movies are: a) giving off THAT fall feeling we’re all craving and b) having the ability to fall asleep while watching (but let’s be honest, you’re going to want to finish these). There are so many more movies I could include on this list, but for now, here are my top 10 fall movie recommendations and spoil-free reviews in no particular order!

1. Knives Out (2019)

Don’t be fooled by the title – this isn’t about cutting the turkey. Knives Out is a fun murder mystery that will surely keep you on your toes. Without going too much into detail, a detective tries to solve the mystery of a murder concerning a highly dysfunctional family after a birthday party has gone wrong. I loved the color palette in this movie, and think it definitely speaks of fall. The wardrobe is very warm and cozy, notably the sweaters that Chris Evans and Ana De Armas wear. If you’re looking for something that’ll have you guessing from start to finish, this is one you should try out! 

P.S. Chris Evans was just recently titled People’s Sexiest Man Alive, so what better time to watch than now!

2. Flipped (2010)

So much of this movie makes me really happy. I adore the storyline so much and I think there’s nothing better than a rom-com on a rainy night. It’s a very cute and wholesome watch that has become one of my all-time comfort watches. 

3. Matilda (1996)

I know what you may be thinking, and no, not the Harry Styles song. If you haven’t watched this movie before, the fall is definitely the time to do it! This very intelligent young girl finds out she has psychic/telekinetic powers that help her stand up to her cruel parents and principal. If that’s not girl-bossing, I couldn’t tell you what is! There’s something about magic and fantastical elements that scream fall in my eyes. While I am one of the biggest Harry Potter fans (which you should also watch!), I chose to add this gem to my list instead! There are plenty of magical and fantasy movies that would be just wonderful to whisk away into this fall. 

4. Little Women (2019)

I loved the book and I loved almost every other adaptation of Little Women, but this one just takes the cake for me! If you don’t know much about this beloved story, Little Women follows four sisters as they grow up together and lead off into different paths. It inspires such great feelings of joy, celebration, womanhood, and sister bonding. There are many adaptations of the story, but the 2019 version directed by Greta Gerwig has become my favorite. The cast and directing are also phenomenal! I love watching and supporting projects done by women directors. This is a year-round watch for me, but it’s also a great fall-to-winter transition watch. 

5. Ella Enchanted (2004)

This made its way onto the list specifically for the Somebody to Love scene! I just love it so much! Although Ella Enchanted came out over 18 years ago, I think I’ve still watched it at least once every year since. The magical elements, the mythical creature, and Prince Charmont make this movie one of my favorite fall rewatches. If you loved The Princess Diaries or Cinderella, you’ll love this one! Or, if this is a movie you remember from your early childhood, rewatching is so much fun in your college years! 

6. The Proposal (2009)

Again, what’s not to love about a good rom-com? This movie screams holiday to me, even though it was released in the middle of June. If you like the fake engagement book trope, try it in movie form! While this is a comedy, double points if you get to the end and you’re tearing up! 

7. Into The Woods (2014)

If musicals are your thing, this one is for you! The setting of this one is what speaks the most to me in fall movie terms, but it’s also a big contender for a fall-to-winter transition movie. Don’t be shy to look into deeper meanings, make predictions, and debate about the different acts. Or, keep it light and learn the songs to sing with! These could make some really good musical karaoke songs at your Friendsgiving get-together. Let’s all just hope that the baker’s bread will be on our tables this holiday season. 

8. Say Anything (1989)

In my opinion, Lloyd’s brown coat should be this season’s next biggest fashion trend. It just looks so cozy! Say Anything is another rom-com contender that I think is perfect for a cozy fall night. Almost every scene in this movie made me feel something or had an aspect that resonated with me. It’s a great first-time watch and gets even better after revisiting it. 

9. Alice In Wonderland (2010)

What better time than a semester break to fall down the rabbit hole and wake up when it’s time to get back to the books? Alice in Wonderland is a great watch for a fall afternoon and is especially wonderful with some tea and cake to accompany it. I loved this one when it first came out, and I think it holds as an enjoyable movie to watch during the fall.

10. The Holiday (2006)

Yes, this is a winter/Christmas movie, but I couldn’t help myself! If you haven’t watched The Holiday yet, now is your time! I could go on and on about all of the good within this movie. It has become an all time favorite of mine, and deserves its own full article. It’s never too early to get into the spirit, and it’s the perfect rewatch any time of the year. 

There are so many more cozy and wonderful movies that I could add to this list. If you want to see more of what I’m watching, or you want to share recommendations, check out my Letterboxd account @kclarkeee. Happy viewing! 

HCXO,

Kymari Clarke 

Kymari Clarke

Millersville '26

Hey, I'm Kymari! I am a current freshman student at Millersville University. My major is Speech Communications with a concentration in Public Relations, and I am minoring in Pre-Law! I love traveling, baking cookies, and playing the piano and viola. I also love to write about my favorite books, albums, and movies!