Culture > News

What to Know Before Watching “The Ted Bundy Tapes”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Millersville chapter.

On January 24, Netflix released a docu-series titled “The Ted Bundy Tapes” regarding the murders committed Theodore Bundy, one of America’s most notorious serial killers. The show plays recordings of what is the closest we will ever get to a “confession” from the killer himself. The series is based around the interviews that were conducted by journalists Stephen Michaud and Hugh Aynesworth, who produced the recordings to gain a greater insight into the “how” and “why” of the grisly murders.

This show is without a doubt creepy, and it’s best to watch it with someone else. Bundy spares no details, and his off-putting voice mixed with the images and tales of the many killings he carried out is enough to give you chills, if not nightmares as well.

If you’re unfamiliar with this notorious killer and want to know more before watching the series, here are a few important things to know.

How many people did Ted Bundy murder?

Before his execution, Ted Bundy only confessed to the murders of 36 women across the United States between 1973-1978, but officials estimate that his total is closer to 100. Not all of his victims have been found, nor have they all been identified.

He escaped prison twice 

Ted Bundy broke headlines twice during his time in prison for escape. The first time he escaped, Ted was in a courtroom in Aspen preparing for his trial as his own attorney, and therefore was not required to be shackled or handcuffed.  He had prepared for months to jump from the second story window and run for the hills, which is exactly what he did. He was missing for close to a week before heading back into the town of Aspen, where police pulled him over in a stolen car.

The second time Bundy escaped, he was being held in the same Aspen prison when he escaped through the ceiling of his cell. After losing 35 pounds and slowly cutting a hole in the ceiling, Bundy escaped shortly after dinner time and disappeared for over a month, during which he committed more murders.

Bundy was eventually executed

Although he managed to escape his scheduled sentence of death 3 times, Ted Bundy was eventually executed in 1989 via Florida State’s capital punishment of the electric chair. Bundy’s confessions came in a desperate act to exonerate him from death row but to no avail.

These are some key facts to know before delving into the horrifying story of Ted Bundy. Be warned, this show is not for the faint of heart, and should definitely be watched with a friend. For more information on Ted Bundy and his series of murders, visit this site. 

All images courtesy of google.com

Jessica Moore

Millersville

I'm currently a junior at Millersville Unversity studying biology! I started at HC as a first semester freshman and have been with it ever since. Along with writing passionately for Her Campus, I am also a member of Alpha Sigma Tau.  My passions include reading, writing, animals, and food. In my spare time, I thoroughly enjoy binging netflix, reading a good book, and taking naps.  Instagram: @jessy_poo96 Twitter: @jessy_poo96