A Week Away: An Organization You Need To Know

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Millersville chapter.

A Week Away is a non-profit organization located in Lancaster, Pennsylvania. The organization was founded by Caleb Walker, a Millersville University alumnus inspired to make a difference in people’s lives who are affected by cancer. His idea was started with a trip to Ocean City, New Jersey. Caleb was diagnosed with Stage 3 Anaplastic Ependymoma, a rare form of cancer that attacks both the brain and spine. When Caleb was gifted the opportunity to spend a weekend away, he was able to see the possibility of living a cancer free life. The trip inspired him to gift others who are battling cancer with a week away to spend with loved ones and to forget the hardships involved with fighting cancer or other life threatening illnesses.

Unfortunately, Caleb passed on December 3rd, 2014. His legacy was carried on with A Week Away. Today, the organization raises funds from donors inspired by Caleb’s story. A Week Away will finance respite weeks for families who are battling life-threatening illnesses. These trips are at no cost to the family. 

Recently, Millersville University’s advertising class, where students are running mock campaigns for local companies, teamed up with A Week Away. These students, including myself, are creating mock social media posts, events, and campaign videos for A Week Away. While this is heavy assignment, many of the students are being connected with amazing organizations, such as A Week Away. The work that the student’s are generating will hopefully enhance and spread the word about A Week Away.

If you are looking to get involved with A Week Away, there are many events that the organization hosts. Their most popular event is the Caleb Walker Memorial Golf Tournament, which is held every fall. Another locally known event is Light the Tree, which is held in Downtown Lancaster. So far, over $9,500 has been raised from the Light the Tree event. A Week Away has been an amazing organization to work with. Their mission and dedication to pass on Caleb’s dream has allowed me to really love being able to represent their organization, even if it is just for a course project.

For more information, please visit www.aweekaway.org

*All images courtesy of A Week Away

Jordan Ettien

Millersville '17

A recent 2017 grad from Millersville University of Pennsylvania! I hold a bachelor's of science in business administration with a concentration in marketing! I am addicted to Starbucks, cute dogs and candles from Bath and Body Works! When I am not working as a Chapter Advisor for Her Campus or as a Marketing Manager for my full time job, you can find me at the gym teaching Pilates! 
The top fashion and lifestyle magazine for college women! Located in Millersville, PA <3