We Miss Helen: Where to Study While the Library is Under Construction

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Millersville chapter.

It’s no question that some students at Millersville are feeling kind of lost right now. With the Helen A. Ganser Library under construction, people don’t know where to study for finals. If you’re like me, sitting in your room or apartment just doesn’t cut it. While there are obvious options, like the SMC, there are plenty of places to go to study. Here are some ideas on where to go when you’ve got to get work done!

Gerhart Hall
By now, I hope everyone knows that the library is temporarily being housed in Gerhart. While it’s definitely a LOT smaller than Helen was, it’s usually pretty empty. There are computers and printers there, and the added plus of a library staff that can help you out if you can’t quite figure out how to find that article your professor has on E-Reserve.

George Street Café
Maybe it’s just me, but I think that the George Street Cafe goes unappreciated in Millersville. When I commuted 4 long years ago, I spent a lot of time there. It’s usually very quiet and they have drinks, baked goods and really good food. Definitely a place to check out.

Starbucks
This week is an especially good time to pay Starbucks a visit for a study session. Until May 13, it’s Frappuccino Happy Hour from 3 to 5 pm. Reward yourself for studying so hard this semester!

Lancaster Public Library
If you’re really yearning for a true library atmosphere, you could always take a trip downtown and go to the public library. Just remember, the Duke Street branch is only open from 10 am to 8 pm so it’s not the best choice if you’re a night owl.

Prince Street Café
This is my personal favorite. I concentrate best with a low level of noise (silence distracts me more than noise, go figure), and I like getting off campus once in a while, so Prince Street is usually perfect. There are always people around, but it only gets really loud during large rushes. Plus, their food is good and you can get a bottomless cup of coffee for $2.12.

Good luck on finals, collegiettes! 

Amber Strazzo

Millersville

Amber Strazzo was born in Queens, NY, but raised in Lancaster, PA. She is currently a Senior at Millersville University, studying Public Relations and Journalism. Amber is the Vice President of Programs of the Xi Tau chapter of Delta Zeta, and is very active in Greek life on her campus. She's a self-proclaimed social media junkie, and loves shopping, her Nook and catching up episodes of Pretty Little Liars. After college, Amber plans to head south for grad school for student affairs.