stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness

The True Confessions of a (Recently Made) Sophomore

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Millersville chapter.

With the new school year just around the corner, it’s easy to reflect back on the previous semesters in wonder. Not only did they fly by, but I had learned so many things in just a few short months. Not just about myself, but I obtained new knowledge about people and acquired life skills that will help me for years to come. It may seem crazy that I could learn so much in a year’s time, and I can only imagine what I’ll be writing about by the time I’m a senior! 

My freshman year may seem like a blur now . . . however, I do remember a few things upcoming freshmen may want to know before stepping onto their beautiful campus!

Welcome New Opportunities.

Whether it’s a friendship that blooms from someone you sit next to in your seminar class, or a job opening has you wondering if you should apply – take the leap of faith! College is about trying new things no matter the risks. You’re beginning to become an independent adult, and whether the job falls through or the friend isn’t who you thought they were, college is about learning – about yourself and the experiences of life. Take new opportunities in stride and trust the safety net below your feet. 

C’est la vie.

This simple French expression made all the difference from me having a total meltdown, as silly as that sounds. When you’re having a bad day and the world seems to be turning against you, don’t let the little things set you off. Just shrug it off and keep moving! Life isn’t always easy, and definitely don’t let the little things make a day go from bad to worse. C’est la vie!

Don’t Expect Perfection.

As a fellow perfectionist, this very sentiment makes me cringe! I was a straight-A student in high school, and college taught me your best work doesn’t always look like an A on paper. It’s about how you feel about your work at the end of the day. That’s all that matters. If your professor is a tough cookie (this isn’t common, but tough professors do exist!), don’t expect the perfect grade! Just know your effort into the work is all that matters.

The First Week is the Hardest.

I know this also seems silly (as the first week is usually just the professor discussing the syllabus and the expectations of a course), but your first week at college can be draining! You’re adjusting to a new schedule, new people (both roommates, classmates and professors, alike!), and a new environment. Don’t freak out if you feel drained just after the first day! Your brain will be on an information overload with everything your professor says you’ll accomplish within a short few weeks. Take to your first few days with an open mind, and rest when your body needs it! You can (and will) finish the semester strong, but the first day isn’t the time to do everything. 

Keep Your Health in Check.

Speaking of health, make sure you’re listening to your body’s needs. Whether your mental, emotional, spiritual, or physical health needs taken care of, the most important factor is your overall happiness. Speak to a friend or trusted adult when you need to vent, or take a break when you’re tired. Don’t run yourself thin trying to make everyone happy, and don’t let your health pay the toll. Make yourself happy and make sure you’re healthy while doing it! 

I know I don’t have that many “tips” listed, but I hope the ones I did share help your new experience on your campus. If the five things I did write about make college seem like a daunting experience, please don’t believe that either. Your time in college is exciting! You get to learn new things about something you’re passionate about, and you get to learn new things about yourself. Your freshmen year will fly by, just make sure you can stop and smell the roses from time to time. 

HCXO,

Maggie

All GIFs were brought to you by giphy.com! 

Maggie Ross

Millersville '22

I'm just a simple gal who loves all animals (especially doggos), believes in recycling, loves to listen to anything from the 70's (especially Fleetwood Mac, David Bowie, and Elton John), collects mugs, blankets, and sweatshirts, and loves sunflowers, fall, and winter; and especially enjoys drinking tea.
The top fashion and lifestyle magazine for college women! Located in Millersville, PA <3