Life > Experiences

To My Sister: 20 Things To Tell You On Your 20th Birthday

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Millersville chapter.

Today, November 5th, 2022, is the day that my older sister turns 20. I’m just a little over a year younger than her, but she’s been like my twin for my entire life. It’s impossible for me to remember a day not knowing her, and she would probably say the same about me. 

I’m so happy to have a sibling, someone who’s been called my name as many times as she’s been called her own; someone who steals my clothing and yells at me for wearing her shoes. Growing up, her bedroom door faced mine just across the hall. For 17 years, we were within steps of each other at all times. We used to share toys, swap lunches, and scream Jonas Brothers songs. A few years passed, and we were doing each other’s homework, driving each other to school and back, and traveling the world together. Flash to now, and we’re calling each other for two hours every morning before class, FaceTiming before any college life-altering decisions, and planning what weekends we’ll be coming home to see each other. From childhood to early adulthood, she’s been right by my side. With every triumph and every struggle, she’s been stuck to me like glue. 

My sister understands me in ways that I’ve yet to understand on my own. 

So, here’s to Giani, and the wonderful person she has become. There are some things I wish she knew that I find hard to say in person, so I’m going to tell her in the way I know best. To my biggest role model in life, here are 20 things I wish to tell you on your 20th birthday. 

1. You set the curve for me, and I don’t thank you enough for it.
  2. You don’t have to be so hard on yourself. 
  3. I used to wish we were twins. 
  4. I’m glad you’re older than me.
  5. You have terrible taste in alarms and ringtone sounds.
  6. Never stop playing the piano or the violin. I think you’re a great musician. 
  7. I took your North Face jacket in middle school without asking, and I lost it. 
  8. You have a great sense of style and should show it off more.
  9. I think you’re an excellent baker, and you should bake more often. 
  10. I admire your dependability and warm heart. 
  11. When you got your license, I cried. 
  12. I like going on drives with you.
  13. Having a favorite movie is essential to a lifetime of happiness.
  14. If you become famous someone will make a great biopic about your life. 
  15. If you started vlogging, I would watch your YouTube channel. 
  16. You’re a good influence and a really strong role model. 
  17. I cried when I missed your apartment move-in day.
  18. I think you’ll be an amazing teacher.
  19. You’re not a teen anymore. That makes me a little sad. 
  20. Our younger selves would be so proud of you. 

In two decades, my sister has made quite a name for herself. I’ve never been more proud of her and her accomplishments. My sister is my best friend. There will never be a limit to the amount of things I could say about my sister. Happy birthday, Giani. I hope this year is your best one yet. ♡

HCXO,

Kymari Clarke

Kymari Clarke

Millersville '26

Hey, I'm Kymari! I am a current freshman student at Millersville University. My major is Speech Communications with a concentration in Public Relations, and I am minoring in Pre-Law! I love traveling, baking cookies, and playing the piano and viola. I also love to write about my favorite books, albums, and movies!