This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Millersville chapter.

Imagine, it was a great weekend. You went to a couple parties, you had fun with your friends, and now it is Monday morning at Millersville University and you do not want to get out of bed. You check your email hoping to see a message saying that class was cancelled. Instead, you see another timely warning about a girl you know getting raped at a fraternity party.

Your heart sinks. It could have been you; it could have been a close friend. Your mind starts to race. How can another attack be happening at YOUR school, at YOUR parties? School is supposed to be safe, isn’t it? Well, unfortunately there is always a risk of danger whether you are at a frat party or walking home from it; it is always around us. But that does not mean we should lock ourselves inside and never leave; it means we should take precaution.

Here are five ways to stay safe at parties:

1. Get your own drink and never take your eye off of it.We have all been told to never put our drink down. It can easily be filled with unwanted drugs without you knowing it. But what is just as important to think about is to never take a drink from someone you don’t know. Not only because of the potential of having drugs in it, but also because you don’t know what you’re even drinking, or how strong it is. This could easily cause alcohol poisoning or blackouts.

2. Go out with a group and stay with them.Stay with your friends. It is always safer to travel in numbers. But it is also good to constantly keep an eye on all your friends too. Watch their drinks, make sure none of them disappear, and watch out for unwanted attention from men. If you see a friend that’s struggling, or any girl struggling for that matter, help them out. And NEVER EVER leave them at a party or let them go home with someone else. You came as a group, leave as a group. Watch out for your friends.

3. Never walk alone.As simple as it sounds I know it can be hard trying to find someone to walk you all the way from the library to your dorm. It may seem like you are inconveniencing them, or it may seem like a short walk that you would be fine making on your own. Instead of taking the risk, ask someone to go with you to the library to study, arrange for a ride to pick you up from class, or befriend some girls in your class to walk with. Better safe than sorry.

4. Never let someone you don’t know walk you home.This is a very dangerous road. It is easy to meet a guy at a party, he’s cute and funny and you guys hit it off and he seems like a good guy. DON’T let him walk you home and DON’T go home with him. You don’t know what this man is capable of, sure he may seem sweet but for all you know he could be a convict.

5. Be aware of your surroundings and trust your instincts.It’s easy to walk into a house, get a weird feeling and ignore it but do not fall into that trap. If you feel like something is wrong, it probably is. When you arrive at a party and you are uncomfortable, then leave. If the guys around you seem weird, leave. If you look around and it has an eerie feeling, leave. Do not be afraid to grab your friends and leave.  Trust your gut, keep your friends close, and get out if you need to. 

I am a junior at Millersville University and the secretary of the Her Campus Millersville chapter. I am a speech communication major with an option in Public Relations. I absolutely love animals! In fact I have several of my own including a dog, some fish, a lizard, and two rabbits. I currently work at Clarks Shoes at Park City and I love it. In my spare time I enjoy reading, writing and hanging out with my friends and boyfriend. I love the beach and being near the water.
The top fashion and lifestyle magazine for college women! Located in Millersville, PA <3