Things You Didn’t Think To Clean

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Millersville chapter.

When you do your cleaning for each week it is most likely the typical stuff such as the bathroom, cleaning the floors and the kitchen. But have you ever thought about the other things that you use often that also need cleaned? Here are some cleaning hacks to help you clean those items. 

1. Garbage disposal 

Think about it, you are putting food down there, so it is bound to have an odor at some point. Here is how you get rid of it. Put a slice or two of lemon and the juice of the lemon with a few ice cubes down the drain and run the garbage disposal and it will make it smell a lot better. 

2. Your Dishwasher   

One would think that the dishwasher would get cleaned each time you run it, but you thought wrong. This is another thing in your kitchen that can acquire an odor as well. Put a small cup in the middle of the top rack of the dishwasher about a quarter of the way full with distilled white vinegar and the juice of one lemon. Run the dishwasher on a normal cycle with nothing in it but the cup with the vinegar and lemon. Your dishwasher will be so much cleaner. 

3.  Shower Curtain 

This is another thing that we all use everyday in an indirect way and yes they do get dirty and smelly and need cleaned. While you are it wash the floor mats in the bathroom as well. Putting these in the washer is a quick and efficient way to clean off any stains and bacteria. 

4. Washer 

This is another everyday appliance that you would think doesn’t need to be cleaned. This is another super simple cleaning hack. All you need is two cups of distilled white vinegar put in the washer like you would your detergent and run it on a normal cycle to have a squeaky clean washer. While you are at, it use a Lysol wipe and wipe down the lid area. 

5. Oven racks 

You know those things that we put the pans (that we clean after each use) need to be cleaned as well! All you need is distilled white vinegar and baking soda. This one has a few more steps then the others but is just as simple. In a spray bottle pour the vinegar and spray the racks in the sink. Then pour the baking soda over top of the tray and let it soak in hot water for 10 minutes before using a scrub pad to remove the grime. 

Cleaning doesn’t have to be hard, all you need for all 5 of these hacks is lemons, distilled white vinegar and baking soda, all items that are college budget friendly!       

Happy Cleaning! 

All images courtesy of google.com

Allie Maceiko

Millersville '19

Allie is a junior at Millersville University studying Social Work. Allie loves to read, travel, shop, journal and hang out with friends.
The top fashion and lifestyle magazine for college women! Located in Millersville, PA <3