Election Hero Imagespng?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
Election Hero Imagespng?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Her Campus Media
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Millersville chapter.

It’s hard to main sustainable swaps in your everyday life, especially if you are new to sustainability. However, it is not impossible. Even the smallest investments can have long term positive affects on your usage and household consumption. These are some of my swaps for sustainability or concious buying tips.

Period Products

Ah the Diva Cup. I don’t use it because of the design. However, I do use a menstrual cup. I personally use Flex Cup because of its innovative pull-ring that breaks the suction and makes things less messy during removal. Flex cup lasts up to 12 years, is worn for up to 12 hours, and is made of a soft, squishy silicone. It just needs a little rinsy rinse after each removal. This is my favorite sustainable option for menstrual products. There are also period panties, reusable pads and even menstrual discs that last longer than tampons or pads, but aren’t reusable.

Toothbrush

My brother and I switched to bamboo toothbrushes. However, toothbrushes ideally should be replaced every 3-6 months. In the short term, I was getting rid of a lot of toothbrushes. I decided to get a Quip toothbrush that allows me to simply replace the head every 3 months. Although it’s made of plastic, I still can cut waste by eliminating the need to buy a whole new toothbrush. It’s a step in the right direction.

Makeup

Makeup wipes are convenient but bad for the environment and your face. Micellar water and a cotton ball are equally as bad. I switched to a budget makeup eraser that I got from the dollar store. It works just as effectively. All I have to do is put some water on it and wipe away my makeup or cleanser. This can be tossed in the wash over and over and still be effective at gently cleaning my face without any scrubbing or harsh chemicals. 

Paper products

Personally, I no longer take notes on pen or paper. I also no longer use a paper calendar. I have a whiteboard that I use for all of my assignments each month. I also use my phone. When it comes to other household paper products, I prefer to use a towel or rag to clean up messes as opposed to a paper towel. It also absorbs way more. 

Food Waste

Food waste is one of the biggest things in the world that bothers me. I feel horribly guilty throwing away food too. One thing that helps me eliminate food waste is small grocery trips or non-perishable foods. Although I go to the grocery store more frequently, the smaller amounts of food allow me to not waste as much. I also look for frozen fruits or veggies because their nutritional value stays the same and they last longer. Buying in bulk may not always be the best thing especially if food is going to waste. 

Cecilia Arvelo

Millersville '22

Cecilia is a Senior at Millersville University. She is a Secondary Education major concentrated in Social Studies. In her free time, she loves to read, watch movies, drive around and explore. She loves writing for Her Campus, being a part of Campus Trendsetters, and exploring all of Her Campus's opportunities.
The top fashion and lifestyle magazine for college women! Located in Millersville, PA <3