This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Millersville chapter.

Before college, I used to adore reading books for hours. I loved how my mind could be transported into the world of the characters, and I felt like I was with them through their adventures, heartbreaks, and romances. However, I found during my four years of college that my reading stamina and interest were shot after spending hours on mindless textbooks. So, this past summer, I finally picked up a book again in what feels like a lifetime. Here are the books that I read and a rating of them:

The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas

I could not put this book down!!!! This is a book that advocates for the Black Lives Matter movement. Thomas demonstrates the inequality and prejudices African Americans face in America today through police brutality in the story. This can be an emotional read for some as it is incredibly eye-opening.

10/10

Paris is Always a Good Idea by Jenn McKinlay

If you are a lover of romantic cliches, European men, and being kept on the edge of your seat till the end, then this is the book for you. This is a book for the adventurous soul who needs to find themselves in order to find the perfect partner.

8/10 

The Summer I Turned Pretty by Jenny Han

This was the first book out of a trilogy (book #2: It’s Not Summer Without You, book #3: We’ll Always Have Summer). This book was an easy teen romance text and a great read for summertime/the beach; however, I never felt like I truly got hooked into it. I’m going to continue with the series and hopefully give you an update after the entire series.

6/10

Fall Book Club

If you would like to read along with me this fall, here are the books that I will be reading:

• Where The Crawdads Sing by Delia Owens
  • It’s Not Summer Without You by Jenny Han
  • We’ll Always Have Summer by Jenny Han
  • The Cousins by Karen M. McManus
Kayla Campbell

Millersville '21

Senior at Millersville University majoring in Early Childhood and Special Education.