This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Millersville chapter.

Recently, I’ve been having serious writer’s block, but the theme week for our chapter of Her Campus is one I feel too strongly about to not put out an article. This theme week is called Girl Power, which is AWESOME. I fully support feminism; I consider myself a very adamant feminist as well. I am more than happy that my chapter decided to do this theme week. But before we launch into the whole hyper feminized rants, I’d like to take a look at the recent feminist trends. The following is from an anonymous friend of mine who didn’t want to put their name out with their article.

” Everybody has an opinion on the use of “female body parts” in feminism recently. We all have seen the pictures, videos, songs, clothing, etc… The hyperfeminization of feminism is huge recently. Believe me, I’m all for girl power. Yes! You go girl! But at the same time, feminism includes transgender and nonbinary people as well. And just so you know, if your feminism isn’t inclusive, it isn’t feminism. Sorry not sorry. Intersectional feminism is the only feminism we need. So what’s the problem here? Coming from a nonbinary feminist, let me tell you.

Hyperfeminized feminism is exclusive. It does not include people who feminism majorly affect who don’t identify as female, or identify with the word girl. I’m not saying don’t use the whole ‘girl power’ thing. Just take into consideration the fact that it doesn’t include everyone who needs to be included. To be blunt, some feminism can be transphobic, even by accident.

I was born female, but I don’t identify as female. Despite this, I am always viewed as a ‘girl’, which is an issue all its own. But because of this, I am directly affected by feminism. I support and fight for feminist issues both for myself, and for the women and trans people around me.

Things need to get fixed, but not just for cis-gendered women. There comes a point where you realize that feminism fends for women of color, women of all religions, women of all social statuses, women who don’t have the genitalia of a ‘female’, etc… Feminism has to be inclusive. We cannot fight together if we are divided within us. Bottom line: don’t exclude us. We need change just as much as you do.

From a nonbinary kid who fell in love with feminism at the age of fourteen to you: support your sisters, not just your cisters. I am your sister. The Latina woman you live next to is your sister. The little girl who was born a ‘boy’ and smiles while playing with her dolls is your sister. The young Muslim girl in your bio class is your sister. And all of your sisters deserve love, support, and celebration.”

Small glossary of words you may not know:

Cis-gender: an adjective used to describe a person whose sense of personal identity and gender corresponds with their birth sex.

Intersectional: the interconnected nature of social categorizations such as race, class, and gender as they apply to a given individual or group, regarded as creating overlapping and interdependent systems of discrimination or disadvantage

Nonbinary: an adjective/identity for a person who identifies with no, some, or all genders other than their birth sex; more detailed definition depends on the person identifying as nonbinary

Transgender: an adjective/identity relating to a person whose sense of personal identity and gender does not correspond with their birth sex

Kay McKenzie

Millersville

The top fashion and lifestyle magazine for college women! Located in Millersville, PA <3