This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Millersville chapter.

I’ve been thinking about this article, knowing December commencement was inching closer and closer. I was trying to push it out of my mind, thinking perhaps I could delay the reality of graduating and leaving Her Campus and my many friends behind. I first joined Her Campus my first semester as a freshman here at Millersville. During Org Outbreak on the lawn outside of the Student Memorial Center, I was instantly drawn to the colorful table and free samples the members had laid out. Once I walked up to the table and struck up a conversation with Hannah, the current President at the time, I knew I wanted to be a part of it since I had passions for writing and supporting women!

I remember Val was one of my first friends in Her Campus, and we joined as freshmen together at the first meeting. I still treasure our friendship three and a half years later, as we have only grown closer over our time here together at the Ville. During my sophomore year, I ran for the Social Media Director and actually got elected to the position. I was very excited to run the Instagram page (at the time, Kassidy was the Co-Social Media Director running our Facebook and Twitter). Being in this position for two years led me to realize one of my biggest passions and what I want to pursue after graduation – social media content creation and management. I continued to want to be more involved in Her Campus and grow closer with the members. The women I met were so inspiring and kind, each with their own unique story and experiences.

Her Campus involvement fair table
Original photo by Rachel Ritchey

When it came time for elections during the Spring 2022 semester, I knew I wanted to run for a position on the Executive Board again. I thought about running for President, and when Cecilia (our current President) told me no one was currently running, I knew I wanted to step up to continue to make the club a success! I realized it would be a large responsibility on top of balancing my academics, last semester at Millersville, and involvement in two other student organizations. I took on the challenge and ran, and I felt so loved when many of the members were excited to see what we were able to accomplish in the following fall semester.

This organization has had an enormous impact on my time here at Millersville. I had never previously been in an organization like it. The emphasis on women’s empowerment and journalism combined allowed us as a chapter to amplify and express our voices through the act of writing articles. I have been able to write about topics I thought I never would, such as articles on the topics of mental health, antidepressants, type 1 diabetes, and dating/relationships. Her Campus has been the creative outlet I needed to share my personal experiences and insights to help others going through the same. I also used it to bring awareness to women’s issues and allow them to feel empowered and not ashamed. I have felt humbly honored to serve as President of this amazing organization during my last semester here. It is truly the members and mission that have made my semester the best yet! To the current and past semesters’ members, you have all made the past three and a half years unforgettable and left a huge impact on my heart. You all offer individual talents, experiences, and perspectives to make the world a better place or at least shed light in the dark places. Here is my letter to each of you:

Her Campus Members at holiday party holding presents
Photo by Rachel Ritchey

To Alyssa: I am so glad you decided to join halfway through the semester! It’s better late than never! Even though I met you a mere few weeks ago, I can tell you have such a heart for your passions and others. I love your fearlessness in advocating for type 1 diabetes on behalf of your sister. It means so much to me that we have been able to bond over this. I know you will continue to do amazing things during your time here at MU!

To Kymari: I’m glad you also decided to join at the same time as Alyssa! You always have a smile on your face and light up a room with joy and kindness. You are the sweetest, and I love that you are also a PR major like me! I can tell you have a passion for writing and sharing your stories through it. I know you will continue to make a positive impact on those around you in Her Campus and at Millersville overall.

To Luke: It was so exciting to me when you joined because we have not had a male student in Her Campus for a few years! You brought a unique perspective to writing and Her Campus in general. I admire your heart for advocating for women and women’s issues. You always have a supportive and energetic spirit to encourage those around you. I will miss you and our coffee dates!

To Brianna: I wish I would have gotten to know you more this semester. I think we share many similar interests, including music taste and fashion/makeup. I think your passion for equestrian sports is so cool, and I hope it continues to be a big part of your life. Thank you for joining and always bringing a positive spirit to our meetings and events.

To Lydia: I also wish we could have gotten closer this year, but our schedules were opposites! I miss being in Honors Choir with you during high school! You are always the sweetest and have such a kind heart. I wish you all the best with everything you accomplish at the Ville!

To Kaitlyn: You have the sweetest soul, I swear! You never fail to compliment and uplift those around you. Whenever we had a meeting or event, you always had a smile on your face and made sure to make everyone feel loved around you. I admire your desire to include everyone and be such a light to others. I will miss you dearly. Stay in touch!

To Jules: I am so glad you joined this year and that you encouraged Kaitlyn to join as well. You and Kaitlyn were our dynamic duo together. You also were always willing to jump in and help when needed. Your encouragement always made me feel valued, and it meant so much to me. I hope you continue to spread love and inspiration to those around you!

To Tia: Even though I did not get to know you as well, you were always so sweet and a joy to have in HC! When I got your name for the Secret Santa Exchange, I was so excited to shop for you and make your holiday a bit brighter! I know you will continue to do amazing things during your time here and in HC!

To Aimee: I missed having a class with you this semester because you make the room brighter! You always speak with kindness and make everyone you interact with feel valued. I know you will go on after college to accomplish big things in scientific writing! You have such a talent for writing and the unique perspectives you have to offer others for the better. I will truly miss you!

To Nat: You already know all of the words I want to say! You are my bestie roomie, and I have been so blessed to know you since freshman year – wow, what a journey it’s been! We made it this far! You are going to be the most incredible teacher to your students and make a positive impact on each of their lives. You have a fiery spirit for the issues you care about, and I so admire you for it! Keep on being the beautiful person you are, inside and out!

To Syd: You also already know what I want to say, but I am so glad you decided to join HC this semester on a whim! Your articles have touched on so many important topics that need to be heard. I admire your strength, perseverance, and passion to help those in need through the field of social work. You never fail to make me laugh. I hope you never change and continue to be the fun-loving and sweet soul you are!

To Erin: Girl, you are my best friend! I would not have survived this semester without you, and it made my heart so overjoyed that you decided to finally join HC. I have seen firsthand how passionate you are about uplifting women and amplifying their voices for good. The fact that you want to open a women’s shelter one day says it all. You are one of the most selfless people I know, and I love you so much.

To Jackie: You walked into Her Campus, and you were shy and quiet at first. Little did I know we would become so close and you would blossom into the outgoing person you are within HC. You are going to be a phenomenal Treasurer, and I know you will have great ideas to contribute to fundraisers to better our organization. Keep being the bright light you are to those around you!

To Madi G.: I knew you were going to be an amazing member when you brought T-shirts you designed and made to one of our first meetings! I was blown away by your creativity and dedication to a club you had just joined. I am so excited to see what you accomplish as Secretary in this leadership role on the board. Your graphic designs are adorable, and I know you will do a great job!

To Ace: Wow, I never knew we would become so close this semester and share so many fun memories! You never fail to lift my spirits and make me laugh. When I am doubting myself, you never fail to speak words of encouragement and level me. I know if I ever need a friend or listening ear, I can come to you anytime. I cannot express how excited I am for you to be Vice President and Editor-in-Chief this spring. You have the passion and talent to carry it out with success!

To Val: Girl, we have been through a lot together since freshman year. I have cherished every memory we’ve shared together, including Her Campus, Web Writing, and Editing for Publication. Katie, you, and I have bonded through all of these experiences. You are one of the kindest people I know, and you always have the most innovative ideas. The passion you have for fashion, social media, writing, and media arts will carry you far on your journey of success in life. I love you so much.

Finally, to my Executive Board this semester…

To Maddie E.: I know this semester has not been the kindest to you, but you never failed to put your best foot forward and support Her Campus endeavors. You made everyone feel welcomed and included. You always lit up the room with your jokes and smile. I will miss you so much and the fun you brought to our chapter. You almost made me cry with the Secret Santa gift you made for me, and I cannot thank you enough. I know you will make a wonderful teacher one day.

To Autumn: I don’t think I have ever seen you without a smile on your face which just goes to show your happy and joyful spirit. I am so grateful for our friendship and how you were always there to step up to help in HC. I am incredibly thankful and impressed by all of the intention and work you put into making our bonding events a success! The number of bonding events we had this semester made me so happy since we all got the opportunity to grow closer as a chapter. I will miss you!

To Charlotte: First of all, I cannot thank you enough for being so willing to make our merch this semester! The amount of compliments we all received from students on campus says it all. You are such a reliable board member and friend. I know I could count on you for anything, and you never failed to think of options to be as inclusive and accommodating as possible. This just shows your heart for others and being a wonderful leader. Thank you for everything, and it has been an honor getting to know you.

To Gabby: We would not be the chapter we are without your wonderful social media posts and presence! You always stayed on top of our socials to make them beautiful and feature our members. We would not have the number of Incentive Points we do this semester without all of your creativity, hard work, and dedication to your position despite being heavily involved in other clubs and jobs on campus. You honestly impress me with your ability to balance it all, prioritize your well-being and time with friends, and still manage to be the sweetest soul. Thank you for everything!

To Camryn: Thank you for being my right-hand woman (if you will) this semester as we navigated taking over the CC positions. I think we pulled everything off very well and were able to publish amazing content, thanks to your dedication and passion for editing. Thank you for all of your hard work with our articles, we couldn’t have done it without you! I wish you all the best as you spend time with your family in New Jersey!

To Dr. Pfannenstiel (Our Advisor): Dr. P, thank you for being so willing to be our advisor this semester while Dr. Russell-Loretz went on a sabbatical. You were not afraid to jump right into supporting us, no matter what that meant. You came to the Homecoming Parade and our fundraisers to support us however you could. The times spent in your office to bounce ideas off of one another meant a lot to me. Thank you for being the professor, advisor, and simply the person you are. We have appreciated you so much!

And finally, to our Spring 2023 President, Katie: I don’t even have enough words to describe how happy and excited I am for you! Passing the torch to you (or should I say pen?) fills me with many emotions. On one hand, I feel sadness for having to part with this organization as I look toward my future after graduation. On the other hand, I am confident in saying Her Campus will continue to grow and succeed even more with you leading it alongside the Executive Board. You have one of the kindest hearts, and I have cherished all of the memories we made together. You are the prime example of a strong woman who puts others before herself. You are the perfect person to step into this position, and I feel so honored to watch what all you will accomplish! I am always only a text or phone call away!

My final HCXO sign-off,
Rachel
Rachel Ritchey

Millersville '22

Rachel Ritchey is a senior public relations major at Millersville University. Rachel is the President of the Millersville University Her Campus Chapter. She is also the PR Chair of the All Campus Musical Organization and a member of Navigators. She is passionate about type 1 diabetes awareness, women empowerment, social media management, music, mental health, and self-care. ♡