books on brown wooden shelf
books on brown wooden shelf
Susan Yin/Unsplash

Shayna’s Declassified School Survival Guide

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Millersville chapter.

Hi everyone!  Hope your summer was great and you had time to relax from college for awhile.  Since I’m slowly getting back in the groove of school, I decided to write my own “school survival guide” to help anyone out there who is looking for a way to help improve their college grades, experience, and even mental health.  Now, this is just an abridged version, but these are the top things I have found that really help me and my friends succeed.

1. Make a schedule to stay organized

I am super busy all the time, so making a schedule and following it really helps me make sure that I am completing all my tasks for the day.  Schedule not only your classes, but your homework, specific time periods to do your homework, work, extra curricular, eating, etc.  

2. Take time for yourself to de-stress

Make sure there is at least 10-15 minutes in your day that you spend doing something you enjoy.   Taking short breaks during homework/studying can actually help you re-focus and de-stress.  

3. Get plenty of sleep

Sleep is SUPER important.  It’ll make you be able to focus more, give you energy, keep you healthy, help you retain information, and so much more.  Try to get 8-10 hours of sleep each night.  

4.  Keep control of your finances

Keep track of how much money you are spending.  Many times, we don’t think that buying a pretzel at the mall or going out with friends is that big of an expense, but if you do it all the time, it will add up.  I’m not saying you can’t treat yourself sometimes, but you need to be cautious of how much money you are spending.  It is so important to have money in the bank for any unexpected bills or expenses you may have (trust me, it happens more than you think.)

*Images curiosity of Giphy

The top fashion and lifestyle magazine for college women! Located in Millersville, PA <3