This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Millersville chapter.

The start of a new semester can be tricky for many reasons. You may have a harder work load, night shifts at your on campus job, or maybe you’re adjusting to a new apartment with new roommates. Whatever it may be, the first few weeks of the semester can be emotionally draining. This may be especially true if you are second guessing certain aspects of your life. 

Walking into my senior year, I was full of emotions. Excitement to close this chapter, nerves as I am unsure where I am going to go, and just a little bit of sadness to be leaving Millersville behind me. I would be lying if I said I didn’t spend the first 3 weeks questioning what I am doing. I would also be lying if I said that I didn’t, and don’t, question myself every day. 

Majoring in Speech Communications opens many doors for me, and my option in public relations and minors in English, Writing Studies, Creative Writing and Publishing definitely help. With these options come big decisions. Where do I even start applying? Do I want to stay in public relations or do I want to take the editing and publishing route? Do I want an entry level job or should I complete another internship first? 

These questions and decisions keep me up at night and remind me that I really don’t know what I’m doing. I know I am not alone in second guessing my life, so I decided to share some thoughts that have been helping me get through. First, I know that I am not totally in charge of my life plan. Whether you’re religious or not, I believe that someone has my back and has a bigger plan for me. Next, I journal or write down what I’m thinking. Getting it on paper at least gets it out of my head. Finally, I find peace in knowing that I’ve made it this far. Every choice and decision has got me to where I am, and in that I know that I am doing something right. 

My advice to anyone in my position, or to anyone who just straight up isn’t sure what they are doing in their college or work career, is to just take it one day at a time. Make every moment matter and be 100% present exactly where you are now. 

We got this!

HCXO, Laura

Laura Sheaffer

Millersville '21

My name is Laura Sheaffer and I am a senior at MU! I am a Speech Communications major with an option in Public Relations and minors in English, Writing Studies, Creative Writing & Publishing. I am active in Expressions Dance where I hold the position of the lyrical teacher and the public relations manager. I have been dancing for 18 years and love that I get to continue my passion at college. I am a personal trainer and a fitness instructor here at Millersville. When I'm not dancing or at the gym, you can find me at the library or a cute coffee shop! In my free time I enjoy reading, running and hiking.