Ronda Rousey, Fighting to Empower

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Millersville chapter.

If you don’t know her yet, you certainly know someone talking about her. She goes by “Rowdy” Ronda Rousey. She serves as the Ultimate Fighting Championship’s (UFC) reigning bantamweight champion and a powerful role model for girls and women everywhere. 

Rousey’s undefeated record and incredibly quick fights bring her to spotlight as a ferocious athlete. In fact, she has also won a bronze medal in judo at the 2008 Summer Olympics. This writer stumbled upon her while scrolling through Facebook where she was selling T-shirts with the proceeds going to mental health and those struggling with eating disorders. After reading all about her and her amazing drive to inspire stronger women, I immediately purchased two. Both have the “Don’t be a DNB” image printed on them. Rousey states in an interview that a “DNB” is a woman who expects things to be done for her and have a man’s millions of dollars at her disposal. She says she’s anything but that type of girl and hopes others will follow her lead!

Click here to see the full video

Beyonce also used Rousey’s empowering body image speech to open her set at the “Made In America” festival in Philadelphia  That same speech has empowered athletically built women everywhere to embrace their stronger figures. Rousey even went as far to call out Floyd Mayweather (a boxer known for domestic violence) at the ESPY Awards this past year. She has also given time to many martial arts schools in Brazil, where mixed martial arts fighting is immensely popular, to teach judo clinics to young girls. 

Rousey’s mother was the first American woman to win a world championship in judo (also while pursuing a Ph.D in engineering, WOW!) and her older sister works as a journalist. Co-authoring with her sister, Ronda shares her life story and struggles in her book, My Fight, Your Fight. The book itself is a New York Times Bestseller and is currently being considered for movie production. As if that wasn’t enough, Rousey has also been called on for roles in major action films, including “Furious 7” and “The Expendables 3.”

Rousey’s realism and pure fierceness has inspired so many, so quickly and brought light to issues the public tends to ignore. As young women, we could use a voice behind body positivity and someone who understands the impact of mental health on our lives. Ronda brings that to the UFC (and the world!) with every fight. Her hand wraps often have quotes on them to remind her why she’s fighting. In her past fight with Bethe Corriea, her wraps paid tribute to her late father, whom she lost to suicide. 

While Taylor Swift defines our lives through song, we should let Ronda Rousey armbar the stigma of mental illness and eating disorders while continuing her path to becoming the most dominate female athlete in all of sports.

Cayla Pavlovec

Millersville

As a Speech Communication major with an option in Public Relations, it's only natural that I write and inform my publics of the latest and greatest things out there. I am new to Her Campus Millersville this semester and hope you'll enjoy my articles in the mix of all this fabulous talent.Here are a few things about me... - I love sports, music and technology. My weekends are often spent adjusting fantasy football line-ups or checking out a concert. - My guilty pleasures include slushies, sweatpants and binge watching Friends. - I am inspired by my professors and Ronda Rousey on a regular basis. They always remind me to stay passionate. - My favorite foods are burritos. There are many foods within a burrito and they are AMAZING together.  - I swear by the fabulous things I find on Pintrest and love to go on road trips with my boyfriend. Not to mention I can often be caught watching cartoons, especially Phinaes and Ferb, because I refuse to ever let go of my inner child. It inspires my imagination and curiousity. Those are what got me into media in the first place. I have to share that magic. Please enjoy! 
The top fashion and lifestyle magazine for college women! Located in Millersville, PA <3