Wellness > Sex + Relationships

The Relational Shift: From Young Love to Building a Life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Millersville chapter.

My fiancé and I have been together for five and a half years; we started dating when I was a junior in high school and Brandon was a senior. I had short flings before him, but nothing very serious. He had been my best friend for the past three years before we started dating, and I knew even before we started dating he was the one for me. 

We started dating and it was everything I had hoped it would be and so much more. He went to another school and the days he got done with his internship before my school let out, he would pick me up from school, often with a surprise of flowers, Starbucks, etc. We both had part-time jobs and would spend almost whole paychecks on fun dates to restaurants, parks, anywhere that suited our fancy.  No matter what we did, it was so fun because we were together. Whether we spent a lot of money or just stayed in; it was the new best day of my life. 

Today was the new best of my life as well, because I woke up knowing that I am Brandon’s, and he is mine. But of course, the dynamic is different almost six years into being together. Right now, as young adults who are still in/just finished school; we’re a lot more conscious of the money we spend. Though we still do many exciting activities, we need to prioritize our expenses and often want to just relax after a long week. Nights out are often traded with sitting on the couch and watching a movie, and a thoughtful surprise may be coming home to all the dishes put away rather than a dozen roses; but to me, it’s equally as romantic. Though at a glance, this may seem boring; this is exactly how I want it. We started dating so young, it’s so special to me that Brandon and I get to grow up together and figure this whole life thing out together. Along with growing up means being mature and responsible with money and just taking care of things that need to get done. Sometimes instead of watching a movie we would need to have homework dates, or call insurance adjusters before we go on a date, but as long as it’s something we can tackle together, it is exactly what I want to be doing. 

In our period of dating, we graduated high school, went to college, Brandon graduated, moved out, and started his full time job as a nurse, and I am job hunting for my impending graduation; we’ve been there for each other throughout each changing and challenging state of life. Brandon is my rock. He keeps me safe, secure and he’s always there for each and every day. Sometimes it can be scary to think about the future and my place in the world, but I know as long as I’m with him, I’m where I need to be. 

Something else changed too. Though we’ve always been in love, we love so much deeper with every passing day and our commitment and devotion gets stronger. The more practical ways we support each other, I believe the deeper we appreciate and respect each other. Right now, Brandon’s working long hours at the hospital to make sure we start our future off as perfectly as we can, and I value that. One day a few months ago, Brandon said, “I’m trying to find the balance in this switch from being your boyfriend who spoils you to your husband who provides for you,” and I believe that put everything in perspective for me. In all of his actions, Brandon communicates his love to me; even if I would rather spend the day with him than have him at work, I know it’s so he can be the best for me; and I try to work hard and be the best for him as well. 

The dynamic of our relationship may have changed from a lighthearted high school romance full of expensive dinners to a functional and responsible one; however, I wouldn’t change a thing. I know the love and connection we have makes us partners in literally everything. We understand each other and have the common goal of building a beautiful life together centered around love. In everything, I know I have someone who wants the best for me, and I vow to spend the rest of life trying to be the best for. I want this beautiful partnership for everyone, so don’t fear leaving the fun early stages and building something wonderful!

HXCO,

Lyss

*Photos personal property of Alyssa Dicker 

Alyssa Dicker

Millersville '20

Alyssa will be graduating in May 2020 with her bachelors in Communications-Public Relations. She also is double minoring in English-Journalism and Marketing. Drawing inspiration from her relationship since 2014, Alyssa's favorite topics to write about are relationships and relationship advice. After school, she is getting married in October to her fiance Brandon, an ICU nurse at UPMC Pinnacle. Professionally, she hopes to work somewhere where she can be an advocate for children.