Recipes That Will Make Your Holiday Treat List

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Millersville chapter.

With holidays just around the corner, it is time to start gathering your holiday recipes. Every family has its classics when it comes to holiday treats, but here are some recipes that might make your list this holiday season:

Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies

Ingredients:

Wet:

• ¾ cup of granulated sugar
  • 1 stick of Crisco
  • ¾ cup of brown sugar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 2 large eggs

Dry

• 2 ¼ cups of all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon salt 
  • 2 cups of semi-sweet chocolate chips

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 375° F.
  2. Combine flour, baking soda, and salt in a small bowl.
  3. Combine and mix butter, eggs, granulated sugar, brown sugar, and vanilla extract in a large mixer bowl until creamy.
  4. Gradually mix the flour into the mixture.
  5. Gradually mix chocolate chips into the mixture.
  6. Distribute dough onto baking pans.
  7. Bake for 10 minutes total. Five minutes into bake switch the top rack cookies to the bottom rack and the bottom rack to the top. Bake for the remaining five minutes or until golden brown. Cool on baking sheets.

Oreo Truffles

Ingredients:

• 1 sleeve of Oreo cookies
  • 1 block of cream cheese
  • Melted semi-sweet chocolate chips

Directions:

1. Using a food processor, pulse the sleeve of Oreos into fine crumbs. (This can be done by hand using a gallon-sized resealable bag and mallet).
  2. Combined the fine Oreo crumbs and cream cheese into the stand mixer. (This can also be done using a hand mixer or by hand).
  3. Scoop out 1 tbsp of the mixture at a time and create a ball shape. Place these on a baking sheet with parchment paper.
  4. Chill the truffles in the freezer for 15 minutes or in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
  5. After chilling the truffles, use a fork, spoon, and/or skewer to cover the truffle with melted semi-sweet chocolate.
  6. Return the truffle to the baking sheet and to the refrigerator. Let the truffles set and chill for 30 minutes to an hour.

Pumpkin Pie

Ingredients:

• ¾ cup of granulated sugar
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • ½ teaspoon salt
  • ½ teaspoon ground ginger
  • ½ teaspoon ground cloves
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 can of Libby’s 100% Pure Pumpkin
  • 1 can of evaporated milk
  • 1 unbaked graham cracker pie shell

Directions:

1. Preheat the oven to 425° F oven for 15 minutes. Then, reduce temperature to 350° F.
  2. Mix sugar, cinnamon, salt, ginger, and cloves in a small bowl. Beat eggs in a large bowl. 
  3. Separately, stir in the pumpkin, sugar-spice mixture, and evaporated milk into the mixture.
  4. Pour into pie shell.
  5. Place pie in the oven and bake for 40 minutes or until the center comes out clean when tested.
  6. Cool for 2 hours.
Kayla Campbell

Millersville '21

Senior at Millersville University majoring in Early Childhood and Special Education.