The Power Of Five Minutes

In today’s society, many of us are constantly on the move. Whether you are a college student balancing academics and extracurriculars, a full-time employee with a family, or just someone who packs their schedule, we’ve all said, “I don’t have time!” The reality of that statement is that you do have the time, you just need to prioritize your schedule. Sometimes all you need is five minutes to get something done. The power of five minutes is important, and I have picked out a few things that you can do with that precious time.

1. 1. Read

poetry book & tea

Being an avid reader, I think it is important that everyone reads something every day. Whether it's a book, a newspaper, or even this article, reading is a mental stimulation that keeps things flowing and even challenges your brain sometimes! Side note, I am cuurently reading "Girl, Wash Your Face" and I could not love it more.

2. 2. Make a Snack

fruit smoothie in glass with metal straw

It can be as simple as an apple and peanut butter (or almond butter for my peanut free friends out there) a bowl of pasta, or a fruit smoothie. It can slip your mind to eat sometimes when you are constantly running, but without proper nutrition your body, your brain will lose energy, causing you to lose motivation and that strong work ethic you have!

3. 3. Write 

a hand holds a pen writing on sheets of paper on a wooden desk. there's a coffee cup and a notebook in front of it.

Five minutes is plenty of time to write to a friend, write a journal entry, or write that introduction paragraph of the paper you’ve been putting off. With everything being online, writing on paper might be a nice change of pace right now.

4. 4. Get Outside 

person standing on field facing a sunset

That might be difficult for some in situations like this quarantine, but if you can, feel the sunshine! Studies show you need direct sunlight to boost your mood and support your mental health. You can take a walk or run, stretch, or just sit outside and feel the sun’s warmth on your skin.

5. 5. Workout 

person kneels to tie their running shoes. they are wearing a coat and a hat and appear to be on a bridge

Maybe not a full workout, but just something to get your heart rate up! This can be a simple ab workout, a deep stretch, five minutes of yoga/meditation, or maybe a quick HIIT workout to break a sweat. If you’re mainly sitting for most of your work/school day, try moving around every once in a while to keep your blood flowing!

6. 6. Make a To-Do List 

Scrabble tiles spell out "To Do" on a blue background above a yellow sticky note

I STRONGLY believe in the power of a to-do list. Something about crossing off an item on my list is so satisfying. If you’re like me, you might be lacking a little motivation for school work now. Try making a weekly to do list and crossing things off as you finish them. BONUS: color coding makes it 10x better.

Five minutes may not seem like a lot, but it is enough to squeeze something in that you may have been putting off. Five minutes of any of these activities is good for the body and the soul! Keep moving, keep working, and stay strong, I’m right there with you all in this crazy, weird time. 

HCXO, Laura