This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Millersville chapter.

2021 hasn’t been great so far for the general world. But for generations all around, it marks the 25th anniversary of a cool event. This year is the 25th year of Pokémon. To most people, that isn’t a big deal. But to those who love Pokémon, it’s a special event and year.

Pokémon wasn’t something I was hugely a part of growing up. I followed along with what I knew from my brother. Being a 90s kid, he was around for the start of Pokémon, the movies, games and merchandise. By the time I was a kid, Beyblade, Wii and Webkinz were all the rage. Pokémon was only something I encountered when I felt like it. Being the younger kid, I got handed down the Gameboys and different Pokémon games. Pokémon Yellow was the first one I played. It was initially released in 1998, two years before I was even born. This game is considered the first generation of Pokémon. Though it was released before I was even born, this game threw me into the magical world of Pokémon. 

Pokémon is divided into eight generations. The eighth is the current and still evolving generation. As of February 26, 2021, Pokémon announced its newest game editions to the eighth generation. The remakes Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl will be the two newest games as well as Pokémon Legends: Arceus which is a prequel to the original Diamond and Pearl games which were part of Gen 4 ending over a decade ago. Each generation provided players with new features, Pokémon and plots while always following the same theme. It’s a game for all ages and no matter the generation, the story line always is playable.

The different generations all follow different themes as well and is given a region. For example Gen 4’s theme is duality or opposites. The games came in pairs such as Diamond and Pearl and HeartGold and SoulSilver. Each generation lasts about 3-4 years. Each region in each generation, is based off of a different part of the world. Some examples include Japan (Kanto, Johto, Sinnoh etc), New York City (Unova), Hawaii (Alola), England (Galar) and more. There is currently nearly 900 different Pokémon available for players to catch throughout the whole series. In Sword and Shield, the most recent games, there were 400 Pokémon. Although each player begins with one of three starters, they can grow their teams any way they like. The three available starter types are traditionally grass, fire and water types. I normally pick grass and this is the Pokémon that will always stay with me. With the development of the new games on Nintendo Switch and Switch Lite, the graphics make each region and its Pokémon come to life. The new games are sure to look amazing.

yellow and silver video game controller
Photo by Selwyn van Haaren from Unsplash

The 25th anniversary for Pokémon is a big deal. Not only are there new games being released, but there is new music being released too. Pokémon has always had stellar soundtracks and theme music. Nobody can forget Ash Ketchum wanting to be the very best. Pokémon 25: The Album is featuring artists such as Katy Perry, J Balvin, Post Malone and more. Each artist is recording a song and video that will also have an exclusive merchandise collection for each one. All artists are celebrating 25 years. This album is reported to feature 14 songs by 11 different studio artists. Post Malone’s concert can be viewed here.

Pokémon had several partnerships for this celebration. Most notably was McDonalds. For a short while, Pokémon cards were included in Happy Meals. Each meal came with a pack of 3 cards. I was fortunate to get my hands on one while the event was still happening. Additionally, Pokémon partnered with General Mills to include Pokémon cards in select cereal boxes. This now occurred to me as to why my brother kept buying so many Lucky Charms. Every month in 2021, Pokémon will be releasing cool merchandise and products. Some of the brands included are Levi’s, Funko, Mattel and Scholastic. Other collectibles such as a Pokeball and Ring are being launched throughout the year. But keep an eye out. Many Pokémon cards and collectibles are very hard to find right now and sell out quickly. To find any Pokémon 25 merchandise, look out for the Pikachu with 25 as his cute red cheeks.

Pokémon has long been loved by many. From the very beginning, Pokémon has been a game/show/movie/collectable that has given people around the world a way to grow. The games stress the importance of building relationships with your companion Pokémon, challenging yourself to be the greatest champion, and exploring new regions, evolutions and partners. Though I’m not by any means an expert Pokémon player or collector, I feel really happy that I can connect with people over it. My brother recently got a 3D printer and one of the first things he did was print a Ditto. When he got me Pokémon Sword for Christmas one year, I finished it in a few days. I battled my way to the top with my Grookey by my side and watched him evolved into a Thwackey. It was the first time I had ever picked a grass type Pokémon as my starter. Throughout playing Shield, I played with my now-boyfriend and he helped me get new Pokémon types and evolve my Pokémon and become a better player. I learned about all the different types as I moved forward, and I believe that was the beginning of my love for Pokémon. It’s now something I can really share with my brother and my boyfriend.

As I mentioned, Pokémon gives players a chance to grow with their partner and explore and compete. I applied what this game series taught me to my life. I told my boyfriend before we started dating that I wanted to be his starter so that our relationship can grow and evolve together, and now it is. As nerdy as it sounds, it was a concept we both completely understood. The same concept can be applied with my brother. We have nearly an 8-year age gap, but now that we are older, our relationship is evolving, and we are understanding each other more as adults. We relate to each other more and I feel closer to my brother now. Without a doubt, there are people around the world who feel as if this game, like many others is an escape, is love, is an adventure, and is a lifestyle.

So, Pokémon isn’t just a game for kids. It’s deeper than that. It’s a game that has grown up with people. Just like Mario, Legend of Zelda, and other Nintendo games, it’s a classic that grows with its user. Pokémon celebrates its 25th year this year and without a doubt, it will celebrate more and more a beloved game. Here’s to the next chapter of the journey.

HCXO, Cecilia

Cecilia Arvelo

Millersville '22

Cecilia is a Senior at Millersville University. She is a Secondary Education major concentrated in Social Studies. In her free time, she loves to read, watch movies, drive around and explore. She loves writing for Her Campus, being a part of Campus Trendsetters, and exploring all of Her Campus's opportunities.
The top fashion and lifestyle magazine for college women! Located in Millersville, PA <3