Peter Dutton: Passionate About the Arts

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Millersville chapter.

Peter Dutton is a Millersville sophomore studying early education. He works as an RA in East B Villages, where he says he loves being able to help people. He got into the RA business when he got to know his RA and GA from last year. They suggested he apply for the position, and he jumped at the opportunity! It was something he was interested in, he says, but not confident about. But his friends gave him the confidence to apply for the job. To future RAs, Peter advises that you do it for the right reasons. “It might seem really easy and it’s nice to have a free room, but there are a lot of things that happen behind the scenes,” he notes. “If you are not going into it with the right mindset, you’ll end up being mean and unhappy because of everything that is on your plate.”

In his free time, Peter enjoys spending time with his friends and girlfriend, as well as playing bass and trying to find time to work out. He’s a big fan of finding new music and reading—when he has the time. As a future teacher, Peter hopes to incorporate the arts in his classroom, which he advises other future educators do as well. “In the next 20 years,” he says, “the arts in public schools are going to be phased out in favor of core standards. Please find a way to keep those art programs in your classrooms for the next generations!”

Bonus question: What are you looking forward to most about the holidays?

“I love spending time with my immediate family and catching up with my friends from home!”

Jessica Moore

Millersville

I'm currently a junior at Millersville Unversity studying biology! I started at HC as a first semester freshman and have been with it ever since. Along with writing passionately for Her Campus, I am also a member of Alpha Sigma Tau.  My passions include reading, writing, animals, and food. In my spare time, I thoroughly enjoy binging netflix, reading a good book, and taking naps.  Instagram: @jessy_poo96 Twitter: @jessy_poo96
The top fashion and lifestyle magazine for college women! Located in Millersville, PA <3