Career

An Open Letter to the Future Generation of Women in STEM

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Millersville chapter.

To the next generation of women in STEM,

First and foremost, I want to say I’m sorry. I’m sorry that you will be uncomfortable in the classroom. I’m sorry that you won’t always be taken seriously. And most of all, I’m sorry that getting the career you want is going to be difficult.

Your male classmates won’t always take you seriously. They will make comments and jokes, but you have to remember to be strong. You’re meant to be there, you can do anything you put your mind to. You have the same amount of skills of any other person in the classroom.

It’s okay to ask for help. There’s nothing wrong with asking for extra help from the professor or finding a tutor. It doesn’t mean that you don’t have the capability to complete your coursework. School is hard, and STEM majors aren’t supposed to be easy. It’s a challenge, but it’s the best challenge you’ll ever partake in.

You have an advantage. Quite possibly my favorite part of being a woman in a male dominated field is the existence of equal opportunity employers. Employers need more women, I feel so much more confident in the workplace which shows there is hope for the future. Your gender provides an advantage in terms of getting a job.

You are amazingly talented. You are super smart. You are going to continue to pave the way for all women in STEM. I hope for a day where there is no minority in the workplace. It all starts with you. The whole world believes in your ability to make a difference and do amazing things. It might be hard now, but persevere and you will see a brighter future.

Gif courtesy of giphy.com

HCXO, Jenna

Jenna Case

Millersville '20

Hello! I'm Jenna, I am an Applied Engineering major from Harrisburg, PA. I love to spend time with my family, and write! In my free time, I can usually be found watching Netflix or bullet journaling. For more about me, you can follow me on my Instagram @jennaccase
The top fashion and lifestyle magazine for college women! Located in Millersville, PA <3