13 going on 30 closet?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
13 going on 30 closet?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Columbia Pictures / Revolution Studios

ONE SHIRT = MULTIPLE COSTUMES!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Millersville chapter.

Imagine this: you are sitting on your phone looking at videos and pictures of people getting ready for Halloween and thinking you still have time to find an outfit. Then you look at the date and realize it’s crunch time to find a costume. Maybe you have a work party, costume contest, or really want to dress up! Going to any store or online shopping so late into the game, you may run into these key problems:

• Lack of sizes
  • Slim pickings
  • Too expensive
  • Oversexualized
  • Won’t ship in time
  • Unsure of how the fit will be
  • Not appropriate for work or school
  • No purpose to reuse
  • Not what you had imagined

So what are your options? Well you can always look in your closet to see what you already own. However, your worried all you have are average day clothes and all hope is lost! Well lucky for you, there is a powerful staple piece that many people own and can be your Luke Skywalker and Han Solo in this moment and save you from the stress.

The White Button Up Shirt

Not only is this something you may already have in your closet, but it’s a piece that is easily shoppable for any occasion! Getting down to what’s really important, here are some classic and unique costumes you can do with a white button up that will count as an outfit and use what you’ve got in your closet!

Selena Quintanilla

Miss Selena Quintanilla has many iconic outfits from the 90s to draw inspiration from, but this one can also double as a costume!
Recommended props: Microphone, gold hoops, and red lipstick!

fred Jones – scooby doo

Perfect idea for a group costume, Fred has a classic outfit that is simple to recreate! If you want to be more character accurate, a BLUE button down and white sweater can be a great replacement.
Recommended props: Magnifying Glass and orange ascot or necktie

monica geller

Going with another 90s classic, Monica Geller has many amazing and well known outfits for any party! This one in particular is similar to Selena, but in a group with your F.R.I.E.N.D.S, you will fit right in.
Recommended props: OCD and sarcasm

han solo

In a galaxy far far away, Han Solo proved to have one of the easiest costumes in the Star wars Universe.
Recommended props: Empty gun holster, toy gun, lucky gold dice, black vest, and defensive sarcasm.

taylor swift – red era

You’r sure to make the whole room shimmer with this classic T-Swift Red era costume! Celebrate her new album with an old but goodie outfit like this. Maybe you can even bring her Red album with you…
Recommended props: Black circle hat, red lipstick, red heart glasses, “Red” album, microphone

superman and lois lane

It’s a bird, it’s a plane, it’s a cute idea for a couple costume! Lois Lane and Superman both wear white button downs with their everyday outfits.
Recommended props: Superman shirt and red tie (for SM), “reporter” glasses, and “press” lanyard (for Lois)

gossip girl

Hey Upper Eastsiders, looks like Constance’s best is out and about this Halloween with these eye catching outfits. Who knew school uniforms could be so fashionable…
Recommended props: Plaid skirt or khaki pants, necktie, headband (for Blair), flip phone, and a Blazer (for the guys)

princess mia
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/757730706073744835/

A different perspective on a popular costume this year, Princess Mia Thermopolis!
Recommended props: Bucket hat, plaid skirt, and a necktie

Detective

Inspired by my love of Law and Order as well as any good mystery, dressing up as a detective is not only easy, but funny! The power you will have flashing your (costume) badge to your friends will spark a convo in any room. Just don’t do it at a crime scene.
Recommended props: Fake costume detective or police badge, fake gun holster, a trench coat, sunglasses

Wednesday Addams

Chic and scary never looked so good in the form of Wednesday Addams. Simple yet cute and no one will question who you are.
Recommended props: Black dress, braided hair, black tights

Leslie knope

In theme with many elections coming up, one of our favorite Pawnee residents are here to give us a professional “just left work” last minute costume.
Recommended props: Campaign button, pantsuit, little Sebastian, campaign poster.

Arthur

No thoughts here, just the meme 🤛
Recommended props: Yellow sweater, red shoes, circle glasses

Hogwarts student

You can really play around with this wizarding world classic! Just choose your Hogwarts house colors and play off of that!
Recommended props: Wand, house color tie, robe, sweater vest

Mary Poppins

For this jolly holiday, be the classically chic and always prepared Mary Poppins!
Recommended props: Big purse, red bowtie, black hat with a daisy, umbrella, spoonful of sugar, white gloves.

3 – Hole punch jim

And finally for the last and easiest costume on this list… 3-hole punch Jim! Any office character will do, but why be basic when you can be the three hole punch version of Jim! With construction paper and a side of iconic humor, you are all set for this Halloween.
Recommended props: Three black paper circles, a tie, ironic sarcasm

Hopefully this will give you some inspiration on who to be using items you might already have! Happy Halloween 🎃

HCXO,
Valentina Zamora

Hey everyone it's me Valentina Z, and I am a Senior at Millersville University! Currently, as a Media Arts Production major, I am exploring the world and sharing my new experiences along the way. I have a passion for fashion, lifestyle tips, food, and nerd culture. I am a proud Latina who is always ready to try new things and isn’t afraid to take on life. Follow me into the unknown that is college, dating, and more! I hope my work inspires you as you read <3