Not ready for the gym? Try this perfect alternative!

One of my goals for the semester was to set aside adequate time in the gym – it’s the third week of school and I have been to the fitness center once. Does this sound familiar to you?

A majority of students set goals to workout at the gym regularly, but once the semester gets going, the goal seems like a distant memory and the excuses begin to pile up. We’re too busy, too lazy, or too intimidated to go!

If you fall into one of these categories, I have an apartment and dorm friendly alternative for you.
I’ve never been too friendly with exercise – the only form of exercise in my life was either walking to class or walking up a few flights of stairs. I never saw the point in going to the gym and I also had very little extra time to go. However, over the summer, I stumbled upon a life-changing blog.

Cassey Ho, of Blogilates.com, is a Pilates instructor from San Francisco. Her website is a perfect blend of Pilates, cardio, and HIIT (high intensity interval training) workouts and also includes tips for living a healthy, clean lifestyle. Blogilates is a great tool for someone who isn’t quite ready to hit the gym or is too busy to get there.

Cassey intricately explains each video and her personality is infectious – once you start a video, no matter how difficult it is, you finish it because you don’t want to let her down! Cassey is positive, engaging, funny, and helpful – she wants you to push yourself and achieve your goals.

I have been doing Cassey’s workouts faithfully since June – and I do them all out of the comfort of my bedroom or living room. If I have an extra hour, I choose a video (there are HUNDREDS on her Youtube channel) and workout with Cassey!

Once you try a video, you’ll want to do them all. Her POP Pilates exercises are the best – she chooses a pop song and a Pilates move and you take on the move for the duration of the song. “Call Me Maybe Mighty Squat Challenge” is five minutes and twenty-seven seconds of continuous squats to “Call Me Maybe.” Talk about intense.

If your schedule won’t allow time for the gym, or if it’s still a bit intimidating, I recommend Blogilates. Cassey’s tips and tricks for great workouts leave you feeling fresh and happy and you can do almost every single video in your room – you don’t even have to get out of your pj’s!

Visit www.blogilates.com for more information and a link to Cassey’s Youtube channel. 

Joie Formando

Millersville

Joie Formando is an English major at Millersville University, with a concentration in Writing Studies and a minor in journalism and music. She loves to write and cook (which is a work in progress) and is looking forward to "becoming a grown-up" post-graduation! She is the Arts and Culture Editor of MU's newspaper, The Snapper, and an active photographer-in-training. She can play a few chords on the guitar (but you'll never catch her singing for anyone) and her biggest dream is to move to London and work for a children's book publishing company.