This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Millersville chapter.

I have been a lover of video games for quite a while now and I want to share some of my favorites with new and existing gamers! These games span from cozy, shorter play through games, to long games that you need to use some brain power to finish.

Cozy Grove

If you are tired of the overall look and plot of games like Animal Crossing but love the gameplay, Cozy Grove is a wonderful twist to a beloved concept. If you are a fan of cutesy and spooky mixed together, then this game is for you! In the world of Cozy Grove, you play as a ‘Spirit Scout’ who is sent to a haunted place to help the ghosts in the area find peace. Unfortunately, the Spirit Scout leader accidentally sent you to a haunted island that is way above your level and (oh no!) your boat has drifted off. You are now stranded on the haunted island of Cozy Grove and have to set up camp. What you quickly realize is that you are not alone and ghost bears are running rampant all over the island! No matter how cute you think they are, they are even cuter! With your trusty magic campfire in tow, you go around helping the ghost bears with different tasks which help restore parts of the island as well as their memories of their past lives. Collect items all around the island and as you make progress, more parts of the island will become open to you. Upgrade and customize your campsite to your, and your furniture’s, liking and grab some pets as well! There is so much to do in the game of Cozy Grove and I highly recommend giving this ghostly game a chance!

Little Nightmares

If you are looking for an indie feel game with interesting art and scary gameplay, I recommend giving Little Nightmares a try. In this game you play as a little girl named Six who is trying to escape a dark and dirty ship. The ship is full of grotesque looking monsters who eat the children that resemble Six. Be prepared for intense chases and eerie imagery as you sneak around the ship trying to survive. As Six travels the metal prison, she will become increasingly, and concerningly, hungry. This hunger is more than it seems and how will Six satiate it? Explore the ship, uncover the mystery of Six and the monsters, and help her escape to the mainland. I love this game and have played it multiple times. While the controls may seem difficult at first, after some repetition you will be a natural. Just be ready for your fingers to hurt from holding down the buttons from fear! There is a second game in this series but I highly recommend playing the first Little Nightmares to understand the story and the world.

Stardew Valley

Stardew Valley is a farming simulator and so much more! In this game you have just moved to Pelican Town to restore your grandfather’s farm and become a renowned farmer. However, this town and its people have a lot more than meets the eye. Grow interesting crops, maintain your farm, and get to know the townspeople who may be hiding who they really are. You are also able to do more than just farming tasks such as fishing, foraging, and mining. This game is an all encompassing game that you will be sure to find something you enjoy. There are so many things that I love about this game and this should be evident from my amount of playthrough hours. The game seems so cheery and normal on the outside but there are so many mysteries to uncover. Another fun part of this game is that many of the characters are romanceable and have their own special dialogue that changes as you grow closer to them. I highly recommend this cozy game as your next playthrough!

Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

This game legitimately changed my life and how I play games forever and I want to share that with you guys! This game is hefty so expect to take a long time trying to explore and beat it. Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild is one of the newer additions to the Legend of Zelda series and has revolutionized the way that Zelda games are designed and played. From the huge open world map to explore to the endless amount of side quests to enjoy, this game has everything a gamer could want. I definitely recommended this game to anyone who enjoys combat style games with a little something extra. In the story you play as Link, a legendary swordsman who serves the Princess Zelda. Unfortunately an ancient monster attacks the Kingdom of Hyrule and Link is injured. The game starts with Link waking up in a healing chamber and finds that he has been asleep for 100 years! It is now his duty to traverse the Kingdom of Hyrule to defeat the ancient monster and rescue Princess Zelda. Unfortunately many things have changed since Link has been asleep so you must travel around searching for Link’s lost memories and regain his skills from a century past. This game is insanely fun and I have replayed it multiple times and have never gotten bored.

Fire Emblem: Three Houses

Fire Emblem: Three Houses is one of the many additions to the Fire Emblem series. The Fire Emblem games are battle strategy style playthroughs and Three Houses is no different. In this game, you play as a mysterious mercenary who finds themselves as a professor at the school of Garreg Mach, a school for nobles and commoners to become better leaders and soldiers. What none of the students, or yourself, know is that you have a mysterious and overwhelming power inside that will turn the tides of this world and its fate. Choose your class house, teach different attributes to your students, fight in battles, and befriend all the students and staff of Garreg Mach! This game is great for multiple playthroughs as the choices you make throughout the game will affect what happens.

I hope that you guys decide to pick up one (or more) of these games and try them for yourselves! I think you will find a new passion for gaming just like I did!

With pixelated love,

Jackie

Jackie Pento

Millersville '26

Hi! My name is Jackie and I am a freshman at Millersville University! I am passionate about music, art, and video games!