This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Millersville chapter.

In 2019, I read about 25,000 pages over 80 books. I loved a lot of the books I read and am always excited to give new recommendations. Here are my top eight books (in no particular order) that I read last year. Please keep in mind that this does not include re-reads, or this entire list would be Harry Potter. Enjoy!

An Absolutely Remarkable Thing by Hank Green

I have been a fan of the Green brothers for years and have always loved John Green’s writing. I was so excited when Hank announced he was coming out with a novel and I was not disappointed! This is a science-fiction novel about a young woman named April who is the first to discover a strange figure that starts popping up all over the world. This novel deals with overnight fame with an alien twist and I cannot wait for the sequel this year!

Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut

I absolutely fell in love with Kurt Vonnegut this year. I have previously read Cat’s Cradle (which I adored) and finally read his most famous novel this year. Slaughterhouse-Five follows Billy Pilgrim in an adventure through time covering his entire life. Part war novel, part sci-fi, this novel is unforgettable, and I now understand why it has become a classic.

If We Were Villains by M L Rio

This book was incredible! It follows Oliver Marks as he is finally released from prison for a murder he may or may not have committed years before at his Shakespearian drama school. Definitely for fans of Shakespeare and school settings, two of my favorite things. This book was unusual because every character gave me a reason to hate them, but I found myself fond of them anyway. They were so pretentious, speaking mostly in Shakespeare quotes, but I thought it really worked for this novel. I cannot recommend this enough, especially to those who love the theater!

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society by Mary Ann Schaffer and Annie Barrows

This has easily become one of my favorite books ever. I have always loved to read, and this book encompasses what it feels like to fall in love with a story perfectly. It follows a writer, Juliet Ashton, right after World War II who receives a letter from someone on the island of Guernsey who is part of a book club. It shows that novels can save people and always help them escape, even during the most difficult times.

High Fidelity by Nick Hornby

As a music lover, this book was so fun to read. It follows Rob, a record store owner, who’s girlfriend just left him. Along with his two co-workers, Rob decides to retrace his past through his top 5 breakups and try to figure out if he is the problem in his relationships. This book was so great, and I could not recommend it enough to fellow music lovers.  

The Princess Bride by William Goldman

The Princess Bride has been my favorite movie since I was little, and I finally read the book last year. It follows Princess Buttercup and her long-lost love, Westley, as they face countess obstacles on their way back to each other. It is funny, heartwarming, and has something for everyone. I absolutely loved it.

The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry by Gabrielle Zevin

A.J. Fikry owns a failing bookstore all alone after his wife dies. He is cranky, unlikeable, and hard to please, but when a mysterious package is dropped off at his store, he will be changed forever. This was the most adorable and wholesome book that I have ever read. I completed it in one sitting and was in tears by the end. Beautifully crafted and heartwarmingly perfect, this is truly a story that will stick with me forever.

The Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller

A retelling of The Illiad, this novel follows Patroclus and his relationship with Achilles before and during the Trojan War. The relationship between the two is absolutely beautiful and equally heartbreaking. Miller’s writing was absolutely stunning, and I cannot wait to read her other book. I devoured this story in one night and already want to read it again.

Overall, I had a great reading year. My goal was to read 52 books (1 book a week) and I ended up reading almost 30 more than that. I am very much looking forward to this year and all the books that come with it. Happy reading!

HCXO,

Maeve

Maeve Corrigan

Millersville '22

Maeve Corrigan is a senior at Millersville University studying Communications with a minor in English. She is an avid reader with a deep love for music, film, and animals, especially her two dogs (Phoebe and Ruby) and cat (Ivy).
The top fashion and lifestyle magazine for college women! Located in Millersville, PA <3