This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Millersville chapter.

Christmas is my favorite time of year! The decorations, the songs, the movies, and giving gifts to my friends and family are the highlights of the holiday season for me. But the Christmas cookies that my family makes every year is my favorite part! We make all different varieties of cookie, from chocolatey to spiced, and pepperminty to sugary. We also have an annual cookie exchange every year where people bring delicious treats and goodies, so I can confidently say I know my way around holiday cookies! Here is my top 5 list of the best cookies to celebrate the holiday season with!

Sugar Cookies

Sugar cookies are so simple to make! They are delicious and can totally get you in the holiday mood, especially if they are decorated in holiday colors or are in the shape of a Christmas tree or a snowman! They have lots of room for creativity and friends and family are sure to enjoy them!

Shortbread Cookies

Shortbread cookies are just like sugar cookies; they are super simple! Shortbreads have a delicious buttery taste and are so delicious that they melt in your mouth. Every holiday season, my family makes little shortbreads with mini chocolate chips and chocolate drizzle, and they are truly one of a kind!

Potato Chip Cookies

Okay, hear me out.. These sound super weird, I know. Who puts potato chips into a cookie? I promise they are absolutely delicious! These are some of my favorite holiday cookies! In my family, my mother makes these only for Christmas, so every year when I see my mom with a bag of potato chips and shortbread cookie dough, I know the holiday season is here. Don’t knock them until you try them! (I couldn’t find any good photos of these delicacies, but they look just like how a plain shortbread cookie looks, just with chunks of potato chips!)

Chocolate Chip Cookies

Chocolate chip cookies are so simple, yet they are a must-have during every holiday season. They are so versatile; you can add M&M’s, nuts, different types of chocolate, the list goes on! These cookies pair great with a glass of milk for dipping, and  are also Santa’s favorite cookie, so be sure to leave some out on Christmas Eve for old St. Nick!

Gingerbread

My all-time favorite holiday cookie is gingerbread. I love all of the spices and the warm happy feeling I get every time I bake or eat them! Gingerbread has so many uses; you can decorate a gingerbread house with your friends or family, or you can make gingerbread men, trees, or even snowmen and decorate those for a fun holiday activity! They are the first cookie to pop in my mind as soon as December begins, and gingerbread truly knows how to get you in the holiday spirit.

The holiday season is a great time to bake super special treats with your friends and family, and even though this year might be a little different than what we are used to, I hope these cookies are as festive to you as they are for me and get you in the holiday mood, regardless. Happy baking readers! Stay awesome, and have a safe and healthy holiday!

HCXO,

Bri

Bri Clark

Millersville '24

Hey! I'm Bri and I am a sophomore at Millersville University majoring in Middle Level English Education. I love insanely cheesy literature, iced coffee (lots of it!), hanging with my dogs, fall-scented candles, indie/alt music, and binge watching television. I am so excited to continue writing for the HC Millersville team!
The top fashion and lifestyle magazine for college women! Located in Millersville, PA <3