This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Millersville chapter.

Troye Sivan, a 23-year-old ex-Youtuber and musician from Australia, has been making bop after bop these past years. His first major hit, Youth, peaked at 23 on Billboard’s Hot 100 chart and is now certified Platinum in the United States. His sophomore album, Bloom, debuted in the top 5 of the Billboard 200. However, many still don’t know his name, and here is why you should:

His recent Bloom aided homeless LGBTQ+ youth

During his tour, he collected tampons and socks to give to local LGBTQ+ charities in each city he performed at. He partnered with the Ally Coalition, which is an organization that advocates for LGBTQ+ equality. He also gave fans an incentive to volunteer for the organization, offering a meet and greet with him and a chance to see Boy Erased at the premiere.

He’s not just a musician

In 2008, Troye played a young James Howlett in X-Men Origins: Wolverine. This year, he co-starred in a film called Boy Erased, which is about a son of a Baptist pastor who is outed as gay to his parents. This move addresses the brutality of conversion therapy and why we need to be more accepting towards LGBTQ+ youth.

He makes bops

Troye Sivan is one of my favorite musicians. Youth and My My My! are two of his most popular songs, and while they are incredible, that only skims the surface of his musical talent. From his Blue Neighborhood album, Heaven (feat. Betty Who) was monumental for me, as he addresses his own struggle with coming out as gay. Ease, one of my personal favorites also off the same album, is about trying to find comfort in new situations. Off his Bloom album, Seventeen is about young love and it’s another one of my favorites. But every song of his is incredible and I recommend listening to all of them.

Troye Sivan is slowly making himself known in the pop music industry and it shows with his recent collaborations such as Dance To This with Ariana Grande, and 1999 with Charli XCX. However, he deserves more recognition considering he doesn’t only make incredible influential music, but he uses his fame for charity and making sure LGBTQ+ youth know they aren’t alone.

Madison Kacmar

Millersville '20

International Studies Major French and Government & Political Affairs Minors
The top fashion and lifestyle magazine for college women! Located in Millersville, PA <3