My Most Efficient Study Tips – From A College Senior

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Millersville chapter.
Take detailed notes

In order to study, you need to start with taking good notes! These can be bullet points of what a professor said, highlighted areas in a textbook, or general ideas that you learned in class. It is important to only write down what is important. While you don’t want to skimp on information, you also do not want to overwhelm yourself with too much to study.

write summaries of your notes

After you have taken your notes, it is time to summarize them. After every page of notes, I like to write a paragraph at the bottom that pulls out the general idea of all of my bullet points. This summary should be concise, but should also touch every bullet point. Reading this summary should be an efficient way to study each page of your notes.

Use sticky notes and flashcards

Sticky notes and flashcards are my BEST FRIEND. I love using sticky notes because you can write down additional information that you may have missed when taking your notes, and still place them on the same page as your original notes. Flashcards are useful because you can quickly study them on the go. I like using flashcards for my summaries, and then reading over them when I am in a rush.

take breaks

It is so important to give yourself a break from studying! If you find yourself unable to focus or staring at the words without retaining them. It is especially important to take breaks when you are studying on a phone or laptop. For every 20 minutes you spend looking at your screen, you should look away for 2 minutes to give your eyes a break.

eat a snack / stay hydrated

Everyone knows what hangry is, and it isn’t pretty. It also is not functional. When you are hungry or dehydrated, you may become tired, unmotivated, unfocused, and irritable. None of these will aid you in getting that perfect grade you are studying for. Be sure to eat a nutritious snack and sip on your water!

Studying for finals can be tough, but hard work does pay off! Stay focused, work hard, and do your very best. At the end of the day, that is all that matters! I hope these tips help you as you tackle your upcoming finals week. Good luck! HCXO, Laura

Laura Sheaffer

Millersville '21

My name is Laura Sheaffer and I am a senior at MU! I am a Speech Communications major with an option in Public Relations and minors in English, Writing Studies, Creative Writing & Publishing. I am active in Expressions Dance where I hold the position of the lyrical teacher and the public relations manager. I have been dancing for 18 years and love that I get to continue my passion at college. I am a personal trainer and a fitness instructor here at Millersville. When I'm not dancing or at the gym, you can find me at the library or a cute coffee shop! In my free time I enjoy reading, running and hiking.