My Four Favorite Films From Oscars 2023 & Where to Watch at MU

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Millersville chapter.

The passions for filmmaking, watching, reviewing, and enjoying was shared amongst industry professionals and fans on the night of the 95th Academy Awards. With amazing performances from Lady Gaga and Rhianna to Sofia Carson and Diane Warren, the night was full of speeches, smiles, tears, and dreams coming true. 

If you aren’t as up-to-date with the most recent films or want to decide which are worth spending some movie theater money on, look no further than this list! While I can’t give you each and every film that was recognized at the Academy Awards, I’ve picked some of my personal favorites and the reasons why I think you may enjoy them too. Here are my four favorite films from this year’s Academy Awards based on my enjoyment in no particular order. If you’re looking for more of what I’m watching or more detail on some of the other films from last night’s ceremony, check out my Letterboxd account @kclarkeee. While some films are only available to buy or stream, you may be able to catch some screenings near you, and for those of you reading at Millersville University, I’ve got you covered. Happy viewing!

Black Panther: Wakanda Forever (2022)

Directed by Ryan Coogler

Notable Wins: Costume Design (Ruth Carter)

Notable Nominations: Actress in a Supporting Role, Makeup and Hairstyling, Original Song

Sequel to 2018’s Black Panther, Black Panther: Wakanda Forever depicts the characters of the kingdom Wakanda fighting against another strong kingdom’s power to protect themselves and their nation. This film is 100% worth it! It isn’t just for the MCU fans, either! I highly recommend watching Black Panther (2018) before watching this sequel, as well as watching the character’s introduction in Captain America: Civil War. If you want to be really up-to-date, try Avengers: Infinity War and Avengers: Endgame to know a more complete background story. This film is beautiful on so many levels and will be sure to get you in your feels. This one did fall just a few months short of providing Millersville, PA showtimes, but have no fear! You can still stream this film and the majority of MCU content on Disney+!

Elvis (2022)

Directed by Baz Luhrmann

Notable Nominations: Best Picture, Best Actor in a Leading Role, Cinematography

A biopic that chronologizes the life story of the American rock and roll musician, Elvis Presley. Starring Austin Butler in the titular role, the film also stars Tom Hanks as Elvis’ manager Tom Parker, and Olivia DeJonge as Priscilla Presley. Coming from someone who has seen this film in theaters multiple times, I highly recommend it for fans of glitz, glam, and Hollywood. The biopic is just as dazzling and fun as its promotion posters. With the added performance of Austin Butler and the fun soundtrack mixes, it’s well worth a watch! Although the film did not score any big wins, I highly recommend streaming on HBO Max or with a Hulu Premium Subscription. 

Everything Everywhere All At Once (2022)

Directed by Daniel Scheinet & Daniel Kwan

Notable Wins: Best Picture, Actress in a Leading Role, Directing, Original Screenplay

At a near-clean sweep, Everything Everywhere All At Once took home seven out of its eleven academy award nominations. The sci-fi action adventure tells of a Chinese-American immigrant mother who connects with versions of herself to essentially save the multiverse. Michelle Yeoh stars as Evelyn, with appearances from Ke Huy Quan, Stephanie Hsu, and Jamie Lee Curtis. This film is universally perceived well, and I can’t help but agree with all the praises! Watching it alongside my mother and sister was incredibly rewarding, and it is no surprise to me that it collected so many wins. All of the emotions were felt during this watch – I was happy and mad, laughing and crying, silent and screaming – all at once. It won the award for Best Picture, so for me, it’s a must-see. You’re in luck, MU! EEAAO is currently in theaters just 25 minutes from campus – but hurry! It will only be there for a few more days! If you’re looking for some alternatives, EEAAO is currently streaming with premium subscriptions on Paramount+, Showtime, Hulu, and Prime Video. 

Top Gun: Maverick (2022)

Directed by Joseph Kosinski

Notable Wins: Sound

Notable Nominations: Best Picture, Visual Effects, Adapted Screenplay, Original Song

Another addition to the “Kymari spends too much money at the movie theater list” is Top Gun: Maverick. If you were to catch me between June – August (and maybe even a few months after that) of 2022, you would hear me talk constantly about Top Gun and Elvis. Despite only winning one award, the film was nominated for six awards. Once again, it is highly recommended that you watch Top Gun (1986) beforehand, which can be found on both Netflix and Paramount+. The film takes place more than 30 years after the prequel but continues to tell the story of Pete “Maverick” Mitchell, a U.S. Navy aviator and a new mission he must find the speed to face. If you’re a fan of the first, you’re sure to be a fan of this one, too. Be quick, MU Students, you can find this film currently at Penn Cinema in Lititz!

HCXO,

Kymari

Kymari Clarke

Millersville '26

Hey, I'm Kymari! I am a current freshman student at Millersville University. My major is Speech Communications with a concentration in Public Relations, and I am minoring in Pre-Law! I love traveling, baking cookies, and playing the piano and viola. I also love to write about my favorite books, albums, and movies!