Laura Sheaffer running
Laura Sheaffer running
Laura Sheaffer

My Final Week of Dance

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Millersville chapter.

In one short week I will take the stage for the very last time. For the last 19 years, dance has been my constant. I’ve learned life lessons, met teachers and other dancers who have shaped me into who I am, and have challenged myself both mentally and physically. In every stage of my life, dance has been there for me and allowed me to express myself in eight counts of choreography. In one week, I say goodbye.

This article is one that I’ve been saving because it has been hard to find the right words. If you know me, finding words to write and speak is never a challenge. I wanted this to be the perfect article that sums up 19 years of passion, but I know that I can’t do that properly without thanking some of the people who have truly shaped and influenced my dance career.

First, thank you to my parents and my brothers for driving me to dance, sitting through an insane amount of recitals, always making sure I had costumes and shoes, and for never doubting me and my ability to dance. Your support has meant the world to me. I love you all!!

Thank you to all of my teachers at Dixie’s Dance Studio who taught me how to love the sport, and supported me when I didn’t think it loved me back. Thank you for teaching me everything I needed to know to continue to dance in college and even become a teacher for Expressions. A special thank you to Lisa for all of the parking lot talks and shared tears. This young grasshopper will never forget your pep talks.

Thank you to my best friend Abby for being by my side for 21 years, and for dancing by my side for 14 years. You gave me someone to look up to as a dancer, but also way beyond the dance studio. Thank you for being my best friend, my sister, my role model, and my everything else. Thank you for continuing to support me in college and never missing a recital. There’s nobody else who would sob uncontrollably at my lyrical dances.

A huge thank you to my girl Sami for being my first Expressions friend. We were in the same audition group in fall of 2018 and have danced together ever since. Thank you for always doing my show makeup, helping me audition to become a teacher, and laughing in the mirrors with me.

Thank you to my newest friends, Kristen and Gabby for being my rocks this past year in dance. They’ve helped me choreograph, remember lyrics, run through the entire show, and everything else in between. I absolutely can’t picture my senior year of dance without them beside me, making fun of me, and supporting me.

This week is full of excitement and I am beyond excited to perform in my last ever dance recitals. While saying goodbye to something I’ve known my whole life is extremely hard, I know that I am so incredibly lucky to have danced this many dances and met such great people. Here’s to the end of one heck of an era!

HCXO,

Laura

Laura Sheaffer

Millersville '21

My name is Laura Sheaffer and I am a senior at MU! I am a Speech Communications major with an option in Public Relations and minors in English, Writing Studies, Creative Writing & Publishing. I am active in Expressions Dance where I hold the position of the lyrical teacher and the public relations manager. I have been dancing for 18 years and love that I get to continue my passion at college. I am a personal trainer and a fitness instructor here at Millersville. When I'm not dancing or at the gym, you can find me at the library or a cute coffee shop! In my free time I enjoy reading, running and hiking.