This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Millersville chapter.

I just started living on my own at the start of the fall semester. I moved out of my home and into an apartment for the very first time. Granted, I’ve lived in the college’s dorms for two years, but I’m finally living in a place where I have to completely sustain myself. I thought I would be prepared to cook for myself and buy groceries on my own. I was quickly mistaken, it has taken me a couple weeks to finally learn what meals are affordable, filling, and good. So, today I am going to tell you some of my new favorite things to buy at the grocery store.

Tofu

I eat a mainly vegetarian diet. I’m not super strict with it as I will eat meat when cooked for me, but I don’t buy or prepare meat for myself. I was nervous to buy tofu because it can be a daunting food to cook. If prepared wrong, then it gets spongey and doesn’t cook as well. As time went on I knew I needed some sort of protein in my diet instead of protein bars that taste like powder. I finally bought tofu and was absoluly amazed at how simple the cooking process was, but also at how good it was. Preparation was simply pressing the tofu under a baking pan with textbooks on top and then I fried it in a skillet. It’s a super easy and delicious was to get some extra protein in your diet. 

Flatbread

Flatbread has been a livesaver for a quick meal between work or a good alternative for pizza when I’m trying to save money. My amazing roommate has introduced me to how versatile flatbread can be. Once you heat it up in the oven or on the stove to soften it, you can add almost any topping. My personal favorite is pasta sauce with some cheese to make a quick 10 minute pizza that tastes like delivery.

Instant Rice

I love eating veggies over rice, but didn’t want to have to invest in a rice cooker (I struggle to make it on the stove). Now I can make as much rice as I want in 5 minutes instead of waiting 30 minutes. The best part is that it finishes cooking by the time I’m done cooking my vegetables. Instant rice is also a great way to add some starch and carbs into your diet while being cost friendly.

Iced Coffee

Learning how to make iced coffee at home has been incredible. Now, I don’t have to spend money on Starbucks or Dunkin Donuts. It’s super easy too; just purchase your choice of coffee and brew it overnight in cold water. I like to buy Skinny Syrup flovored syrups to sweeten the coffee and then a splash of almond milk to make it feel like the real thing. 

Block Cheese

This is such a great snack with cheese. Over my summer classes, my mom would bring me cheese and crackers almost every day for a snack. I have continued the habit now that I live on my own. But, block cheese is also great on the above mentioned flatbread if you shred it. I also like to make myself a mini charcuterie board with various vegetables and fruit that I buy for a healthier twist.

I really struggled trying to figure out what I should buy grocery wise when I moved into my apartment. It can be a daunting task when you have to do it on your own. I hope that some of these items can help inspire some meal ideas for you and give a little guidance the next time your in the store.

HCXO, Jenna

Jenna Case

Millersville '20

Hello! I'm Jenna, I am an Applied Engineering major from Harrisburg, PA. I love to spend time with my family, and write! In my free time, I can usually be found watching Netflix or bullet journaling. For more about me, you can follow me on my Instagram @jennaccase
The top fashion and lifestyle magazine for college women! Located in Millersville, PA <3