My Current Obession: Office Ladies Podcast

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Millersville chapter.

Calling all my Office fans! If you haven’t heard yet, Jenna Fischer (Pam Beesley) and Angela Kinsey (Angela Martin) from The Office have started a new podcast just for us! They do about an hour long podcast for each episode, and they give fun behind the scenes trivia and stories so Office nerds, such as yours truly, can dive even deeper into their not-at-all secret obsession. 

Let me start by saying, I am not really a podcast gal. I did not get it. I follow both Angela and Jenna on Instagram, and I was so excited for their podcast but I had to set myself up for the reality that I may only listen once and then never again. I put the first episode on and I was instantly hooked. These ladies had me laughing in my car by myself down the highway. I’ve kept up with the shows and I absolutely love them.

I mean it’s about The Office

First and foremost, it’s The Office. If you’ve been following my articles for the past two years, you know this is my all time favorite show. The Office Ladies even said this in one of their episodes, The Office just has a strange way of bringing people together, and even bring comfort to people. It’s been off the air for almost exactly seven years, and I would argue it’s still America’s favorite show and remains so relevant in pop culture. Anyway that I can get some more Office knowledge, I want to take it. Especially if it’s coming straight from the source. 

Jenna & Angela are Precious

Another reason I love this podcast is just Angela and Jenna. It’s so fun to see them as “people” and not Pam and Angela (as Angela Martin). If you’ve seen the show, you know Angela is very abrasive and cold, and Angela Kinsey is anything but. She is so funny and cute and it’s so fun to see the contrast. I know for myself, I tend to view actors and actresses as their characters in shows/movies, and it’s so refreshing to get to know the real Jenna and Angela. Also, one thing I love about Jenna and Angela is that they are real women. They talk about living simple lives with their families and not being some ritzy and glamorous celebrities no one can relate to. They just seem so down to earth, someone you could go shopping with. They talk about real world issues like where to find affordable fashion, their desire to be sustainable, stress and anxiety, and even sometimes not feeling like they fit in at “fancy parties.” 

Not only are they down-to-earth women, they are literally the most precious pair of friends. They talk about all the good times they had on the set and all the fun things they’re up to right now and it’s just so evident they have such a good support system in each other. Not only that, but they have fond memories of everyone on the set and talk about the comradery that everyone had as a group. Whenever they have special guest stars, they always talk about how much that person means to them and how they are so grateful they got to stay in touch and work together. It’s literally so wholesome and I love seeing that these are real women who love and value their friendships. Not only that, they really value their fans. They always give shoutouts to their fans when they read their questions and always thank us for listening, and they sound like they really mean it.

Girl Power! 

Additionally, can we talk about girlbosses? One of the most recent episodes, Boys and Girls, Jenna and Angela talked about how in the show the women of the office were attacking Jan for following professional goals rather than having a family and how in real life, women do this too much and we need to support all women! You go Office Ladies! 

Appreciating Film

Something else that I never really thought about that this show really opened my eyes to is just how much goes into filming/acting. I think about this for intense action movies, but I never realized just how much attention is given to seemingly simple shows such as The Office. I feel like I always thought they just did a few simple takes and then everyone moved on; but every single detail needs to be so properly accounted for and thought of. All the props need to be exact and you need so many for all the possible takes (shoutout to Phil Shea the prop master who traveled all the way to Scranton, PA from LA for real Scranton business merch). And all the shots need to be continuous (and shoutout to Veda for ensuring everyone is holding their coffee mug in the same hand from take to take). There are even meetings about the cast members’ hairstyles (Jenna)! This podcast has given me not only a deeper understanding of the film industry, but a greater appreciation. 

It’s so funny!

Of course lastly, the show is just so dang funny. Not only is The Office just so funny in of itself, Jenna and Angela portray it so well, have amazing chemistry, and add their own personal hilarious stories. 

I love, love, love, this podcast because it is just two regular gals supporting each other, talking about my favorite show, being real and authentic but all the while making me laugh and smile. Even if you’ve never gotten into podcasts before, give this show a listen! I promise you won’t regret it! 

Happy listening!

HXCO, Lyss

Alyssa Dicker

Millersville '20

Alyssa will be graduating in May 2020 with her bachelors in Communications-Public Relations. She also is double minoring in English-Journalism and Marketing. Drawing inspiration from her relationship since 2014, Alyssa's favorite topics to write about are relationships and relationship advice. After school, she is getting married in October to her fiance Brandon, an ICU nurse at UPMC Pinnacle. Professionally, she hopes to work somewhere where she can be an advocate for children.